Payments are currently suspended. 

As a precautionary measure, we have taken the decision to temporarily suspend our online payment system while we investigate an issue with our supplier. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Keeping or Training Animals for Exhibition

Keeping or Training Animals for Exhibition

If you keep or train animals for display or public performance, you must have an Exhibition of animals licence. 

This includes:

  • animals in a circus, television or film production, or a theatre performance

  • animals on display at events or parties

How to apply


Apply Online


Risk assessment

Before we can approve your licence, we will risk assess your premises, and how you look after the animals in your care. To pass this assessment, you must meet the conditions listed in the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018. Defra have issued Guidance (pdf 321 kb). 

Application form

Application Form (pdf 420 kb)


The fee for and Exhibition of animals is £150.00. This is for a three year licence, You pay this when you apply. You may need to pay extra vets fees, but we will discuss this with you before we complete your risk assessment.

What happens next

When we receive your application, we will arrange to visit your home or premises to complete our assessment. After this assessment, we will write to let you know if your licence application has been successful.

If your application is unsuccessful, we will write to you and explain why.

There a number of persons that due to previous legal proceedings may not apply for a Licence. For the full list go to Schedule 8 of the Regulations.

If you are unhappy with our decision

If we do not issue a licence, and you would wish to appeal the decision, contact the First-tier Tribunal (General Regulatory Chamber) to launch an appeal. 

City Council Policy

The established Policy of the City of Newcastle is that performing animals will not be permitted to perform on any premises or property owned or operated by the City Council.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it using the contact details below.


Trading Standards service, Directorate of Operations and Regulatory Services, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH. Phone (0191) 2116102. Email

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?