Our site is in Beta Live, we welcome your feedback to help us improve the site.
Byelaws - Old Eldon Square - Prohibition of Skateboarding etc
Byelaws made by the Council of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne under sections 12 and 15 of the Open Spaces Act 1906 with respect to Old Eldon Square.
1. In these byelaws: "the Council" means the Council of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne "the ground" means all the land surrounding and including the War Memorial, Old Eldon Square, Newcastle upon Tyne and delineated by black hatching on the plan.
Skateboarding and Roller Skating
2. No person shall in the ground skate on rollers, skateboards, wheels or other mechanical contrivances in such a manner as to cause danger or nuisance or give reasonable grounds for annoyance to other persons in the ground.
3. No person shall in the ground:(a)intentionally obstruct any officer of the Council in the proper execution of his duties;(b)intentionally obstruct any person carrying out an act which is necessary to the proper execution of any contract with the Council; or(c)intentionally obstruct any other person in the proper use of the ground, or behave so as to give reasonable grounds for annoyance to other persons in the ground.
4. (1) An act necessary to the proper execution of his duty in the ground by an officer of the Council, or any act which is necessary to the proper execution of any contract with the Council, shall not be an offence under these byelaws. (2)Nothing in or done under any of the provisions of these byelaws shall in any respect prejudice or injuriously affect any public right of way through the ground, or the rights of any person acting legally by virtue of some estate, right or interest in, over or affecting the ground or any part thereof.
Removal of Offenders
5. Any person offending against any of these byelaws may be removed from the ground by an officer of the Council or a constable.
6. Any person offending against any of these byelaws shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale.
The Common Seal of the Council of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne was hereunto affixed this 22nd day of October 1998 in the presence of:
T. D. Marshall, Lord Mayor
V. A. Dodds, Head of Legal Services
The foregoing byelaws are hereby confirmed by the Secretary of State and shall come into operation on the ninth day of January 1999.
Signed by the authority of the Secretary of State
R. G. Evans
Head of Unit
Constitutional and Community Policy Directorate
10 December 1998
Plan of Old Eldon Square area