Air quality Action Plans
We have air quality Action Plans which show how we will tackle problems with the two air quality management areas (AQMAs) in Newcastle.
These action plans set out the measures we want to put in place to improve air quality to meet the standards set in the National Air Quality Strategy.
Our plan includes the following measures:
- Working with bus operators to accelerate the use of cleaner buses.
- Reducing traffic entering the City Centre.
- Low emission bus routes.
- Freight consolidation facilities for the City Centre/ Eldon Square Shopping Centre.
- Development of a permit scheme for taxis and private hire vehicles.
- Electric vehicles.
- Travel plans at major employers in the City Centre and other centres of employment.
- Encouraging more healthy options of travel such as cycling and walking.
Low Emission Zone study
We have looked at the impact of only allowing newer, cleaner emission vehicles into our air quality management area as part of a low emission zone study for Newcastle and Gateshead.
We found that air quality will improve in the future but only when newer cleaner emission standard vehicles start to be used.
Are you air aware?
We're helping local communities in Newcastle to understand how their lives are affected by poor air quality. Our Be Air Aware project aims to help people choose healthy options to improve their fitness, save money and improve air quality.
Could you make less journeys by car? We are helping local people plan their journeys so they can live more healthy sustainable lifestyles. Visit our Newcastle Air Quality Project Facebook page to find out what's happening near you.
What can I do to help improve air quality?
- Walk and cycle short trips to help reduce traffic pollution caused by unnecessary journeys. You will also feel healthier and fitter. The Walkit website can help you plan the best traffic free walking route. The Go Smarter websites can also help you find alternative ways to travel in Newcastle on foot, bike and public transport whether you are travelling to work or school.
- Consider the options available for your journey to work. The Nexus website can help you plan your route by public transport.
- Drive in an eco-friendly way that saves fuel and harmful emissions. The Energy Saving Trust have a guide to smarter driving.
Directorate of Operations and Regulatory Services
Newcastle City Council
Newcastle upon Tyne
Phone: 0191 278 7878