Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support

What is Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support (CTS also referred to as Council Tax Reduction CTR) is a council tax discount for working age people. It reduces the amount of council tax you must pay. The size of the discount you get depends on your income and household size.

There is a different national Council Tax Support scheme for people who have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit or the State Retirement Pension. This scheme is a means tested scheme based on your income, savings or investments.

This is an addition.

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if you:

•           live in the UK

•           pay council tax

•           are on a low income

•           have savings less than £6,000 if you are working age or less than £16,000 if you have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit or the State Retirement Pension 


Apply for Council Tax Support


How is Council Tax Support Calculated?

The table below shows the maximum discount available to those people who are working age.

Discount Passported


Income Band £


Income Band £

Family with 1

child £

Family with 2+


Band 1 100% Relevant benefit 0.00 to 80.00 0.00 to 125.00 0.00 to 195.00 0.00 to 265.00
Band 1   90% N/A 80.00 to 125.00 125.01 to 170.00 195.01 to 225.00 265.01 to 280.00
Band 2   85% N/A 125.01 to 165.00 170.01 to 215.00 225.01 to 290.00 280.01 to 325.00
Band 3   50% N/A 165.01 to 250.00 215.01 to 290.00 290.01 to 355.00 325.01 to 390.00
Band 4   25% N/A 250.01 to 325.00 290.01 to 375.00 355.01 to 430.00 390.01 to 480.00


Disregarded income

When we work out entitlement to Council Tax Support, we do not take the following income into account

  • Disability Living Allowance

  • Personal Independence Payment

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Child Benefit

  • Child Maintenance

  • War Disablement Benefits.

  • We also apply an earnings disregard of £7.50 for single people, £12.50 for couples and £17.50 for lone parents


Reporting Changes

If someone has moved in or out of your address, or if one of the named council tax payers has a change of income, you must inform us immediately to avoid the loss of any more support you are entitled to. Any changes reported 21 days or more after the date they occur may results in penalty charges added to your bill.


To report a change please have your account reference number available and complete a new Council Tax Support form.

You can see full details of the scheme at Council Tax Support banded scheme



Apply for Council Tax Support

Further information

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?