Arranging your Ceremony

The Marriage Schedule System

Updated Guidance for Marriages and Civil Partnerships 

Marriages and civil partnerships   

Current national restrictions remain in place.

Then, in line with the Government's step-by-step plan to ease restrictions:  

  • No earlier than 12 April - Legal limit of 15 attendees. 
  • No earlier than 17 May – Legal limit of 30 attendees 
  • No earlier than 21 June – No legal limit on attendees 
    The number of attendees outlined above is dependent upon the premise where the ceremony is to be held being able to can accommodate this number in a Covid-19 secure manner following social distancing guidelines, and are permitted to open.
    If you are having your ceremony at an approved premise please contact them to confirm the number of attendees that can be accommodated.
    If you are having your ceremony in Newcastle Register Office the number of attendees allowed is 4.  This includes the couple plus two witnesses and applies to all dates.
    If you are having your ceremony in The Leazes Room on a date between 12 April and 20 June the number of attendees allowed is 10. This includes the couple, two witnesses plus up to 6 other guests.
    As is currently the case, the number allowed to attend includes the couple, witnesses and guests, but those working, such as registration officials and venue managers are not included. 
    The final step is subject to the outcome of the scientific Events Research Programme, which from April will see the government run pilots for events such as large weddings to help determine how measures such as enhanced testing might allow large groups to attend without social distancing. 

New ceremony bookings  

We are now taking new ceremony bookings for ceremonies.  Bookings can be made up to two years in advance.

Couples booking ceremonies up to and including 20 June 2021 will be advised of potential lockdown restrictions that could be in place.   

If you are interested in booking a ceremony please contact the Register Office by phone at 0191 2787878 and ask for Registrars or email stating your preferred date and time, the name of your venue and your contact details and someone will get back to you.   Register Office opening hours are Monday-Friday 08.30am-4.30pm

Ceremonies held under COVID 19 guidelines

The government has issued guidance to assist people planning to get married or form a civil partnership in England.

Couples with a ceremony booking should read the guidance carefully and in full as it may help them decide if they want to proceed or to make alternative arrangements.

In addition the government announced on 31 July 2020 that all guests attending a ceremony at an approved venue or Register Office are required to wear a face covering.  Brides, grooms, or civil partners do not need to wear a face covering.

Couples who are having their ceremony at an approved premise should contact their venue to confirm that their ceremony is going ahead and any queries about wedding or civil partnership receptions should be directed to the venue in question. 

Couples who do not want to proceed under the circumstances should contact the Register Office to discuss their options.  Please phone 0191 2787878 and ask for Registrars or email

If you are interested in booking a ceremony please contact the Register Office by phone at 0191 2787878 and ask for Registrars or email stating your preferred date and time, the name of your venue and your contact details and someone will get back to you.

If you are an EU or EEA National planning to marry this year, please read this information.

Arranging Your Ceremony

The first thing you need to do is decide what type of ceremony you would like.  This could be in the Register Office, The Leazes Room, or at one of our approved venues around the city. These ceremonies can be booked up to 2 years in advance.

You may also choose to hold your ceremony at a place of worship,  or you might want to get married abroad.


Register Office and Leazes Room

To book a ceremony in The Register Office or in The Leazes Room please  contact the Register Office.

Approved Venues

Provisionally book your ceremony with the approved venue  and then contact the Register Office to confirm the availability of a Registrar.

Religious Ceremonies

Information about arranging a religious ceremony can be found at

Getting Married Abroad

Information about the documents you might need to arrange a marriage or civil partnership ceremony abroad can be found at


Please be aware that all of our ceremony bookings require the payment of a booking fee at the time of booking.  A deposit is also required for the Leazes Room and approved venue bookings.  This will guarantee your chosen date and time subject to our Terms and Conditions of booking .

Giving Notice of Intention to Marry or Form a Civil Partnership

Giving notice of intention involves attending an appointment at a Register Office. You must do this before you are able to be legally married in the UK. Before you book an appointment, you will need to know where the ceremony will take place and be able to confirm that you are both legally free to get married or to form a civil partnership.

Details of when and where to give notice and the documents you will need to provide can be found on our Giving Notice page.



You will be asked to pay the final balance for your ceremony at least 16 weeks prior to the date it will take place.  The cost of your ceremony depends upon the choice of venue and the day of the week the ceremony will take place.

Details can be found on our fees page .


Ceremony Choices

During the ceremony you will have to make two sets of legal declarations at a minimum. However, once you have made your final payment we will send you some information on your ceremony options which will allow you to personalise the remainder of your ceremony.  These forms should be returned to the Register Office before your ceremony so that a script can be prepared for the Registrar to use on the day.

We will also send you some hints and tips to help your day run smoothly.


Marriages Involving EU or EEA Nationals

In order to marry in England or Wales a Registrar must attest a notice of marriage. The General Register Office has advised that there is no intention to make any changes to the existing scheme on or immediately after the UK has left the EU. The longer-term position remains unclear, but EU and EEA citizens seeking to marry in 2019 and early next year can be reassured that their marriage will not be affected by changes.


Back to the top


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?