All councillors meet together as the Council on the first Wednesday of each month (every month for the first six months of the year and bi-monthly for the last six months of the year). The meeting is chaired by the Lord Mayor and held at 6pm in the Council Chamber. Council decides the Council's overall policies and sets the budget each year.
City Council is the public forum for debating key issues facing the city. It appoints the Leader who in turn appoints the Cabinet and holds them to account. It also appoints the non-executive committees of the Council.
Papers for each meeting are available 5 days beforehand.
If, in order to access any of the committee agendas and reports effectively, you require them to be translated or provided in Braille, audio or large print, please contact the relevant Democratic Service Office.
- this is the part of the Council which is responsible for most strategic decisions.
- Ward Committees
- Ward Committees deal with service issues at a ward level and involve local people in decision making.
- Scrutiny Committees
- scrutinise the work carried out by the Cabinet and officers to ensure that the Council delivers its objectives.
- Non-Executive Committees
some decisions such as those about planning, licensing, employment and the constitution cannot be made by the Executive. Separate committees have been set up to either make these decisions or to make recommendations to the City Council.
- Council's Constitution, corporate Governance and strategic human resources issues
- Planning Committee
- deals with Planning functions
- Regulatory and Appeals
- regulatory and licensing functions except those in the Licensing Act 2003
- all licensing functions defined in the Licensing Act 2003 along with a range of appeals.
- promotes high standards of conduct by councillors
- Advisory Committees
these Committees have been set up to advise the Council, Executive and officers before they make decisions.
- oversees issues relating to financial probity
- Corporate Parent Advisory Committee
- Monitors the work of the Council and other related agencies in contributing towards positive outcomes for looked after children
- Mansion House Trust Advisory
- in its function as sole trustee
Weekly List of Committee Meetings (pdf, 20Kb)