By-elections can be held at any time when a casual vacancy occurs. They can happen following the resignation or the death of a currently serving Councillor or Member of Parliament.

Casual Vacancy

A casual vacancy is usually filled by means of a by election to elect a new member to fill the vacant seat on the council.

Requesting a by-election

A by-election is only triggered by local government electors requesting a by-election to take place. This requires two local government electors within a principal local authority (not just from the ward) giving notice to the proper officer of the authority.

Discretion on holding a by-election

Once the requests from the electors are received the polling day for the by-election must be set at the Returning Officer's discretion for within 35 working days of the date of receipt of the requests. There is no time limit for receipt of the requests, but, if requests are not received, the seat will remain vacant until the seat would normally be up for election.

All requests for a by-election regarding this casual vacancy must be sent to The Returning Officer, Newcastle City Council, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8QH.

Page last updated: 
10 August 2017
Was this page useful?