The Newcastle Safeguarding Adults Board (NSAB) share a vision for a workforce that has the right knowledge, skills and confidence to recognise and respond effectively to adult abuse. To help to achieve this vision, the NSAB Learning and Development Committee have designed a multi-agency training programme to suit all levels of training needs.
All of the training offered is free of charge and open to all organisations providing a service within Newcastle. This training is based on the new multi-agency NSAB Policy and Procedures and reflects the changes to safeguarding adults as a result of the Care Act (2014). The NSAB Training Toolkit outlines our core capability framework and provides guidance to staff and managers around accessing appropriate levels of learning and demonstrating understanding.
- To learn more about which modules might be appropriate to your role and find out which courses are available over the coming months please download the NSCB and NSAB Training Programme 2018-19.
- To book a place onto a course please complete the Safeguarding Adults Training Booking Form (Word 412kb) and send to email@example.com
All staff and volunteers should understand what is meant by adult abuse and how to raise any concerns they may have that an adult at risk has been abused. This understanding is achieved via Basic Awareness Training (Level 1). We offer a range of options for accessing Basic Awareness (Level 1) learning:
- Multi-agency face to face sessions - please download the above training programme for further details.
- e-Learning - basic awareness Safeguarding Adults, Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards courses are available provided by Virtual College.
- Workbooks - this option allows staff to complete Level 1 training at their own pace with support from a line manager. For more information please contact the Learning Development Officer on the contact details below.
- In-house - organisations can provide in-house training at Level 1. The training must follow the Newcastle Safeguarding Adults Board Learning and Development Competency Framework. If you currently deliver Level 1 training in-house you can notify the Learning and Development Officer (using the contact details below) who will support you to ensure that the training meets the required competences.
Training beyond Basic Awareness (Level 1) should be accessed via the multi-agency training programme. These courses include;
- Level 2 (Responding to Abuse)
- Level 3 (Role of the Designated Safeguarding Adult Manager)
- Risk Assessment and Management Plan
- Training for Trustees and Management Committee Members
- Thematic Workshops
The Safeguarding Adults Unit may be able to provide specialist training if requested, including training for trustees and management committees. Please contact the Learning and Development Officer for further information.
Mental Capacity Act (MCA) and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS)
This training is available to all staff working within Newcastle and is free for everyone to access. To book a place on one of these courses please download the NSCB and NSAB Training Programme 2016-2017 and complete the booking form found at the top of this page.
To submit a booking form for a Safeguarding Adults, Mental Capacity Act or Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards course please contact the Workforce Development Admin Team:
Telephone: 0191 277 2091
For advice about Safeguarding Adults training, to access the workbook, arrange bespoke courses or accredit in-house training please contact the Safeguarding Adults Learning and Development Officer.
Telephone: 0191 211 4881
Return to safeguarding adults homepage