Library membership policy
All citizens are welcome to:
- enjoy the use of library facilities;
- access library resources;
- attend library events.
In addition, members of Newcastle Libraries have the right to:
- borrow up to 10 items including books, audiobooks, board games, DVDs;
- access e-books, e-audiobooks and digital magazines;
- use computers.
Joining Newcastle Libraries
We only collect personal information about you which is necessary for us to offer you library services. See our privacy statement for details of why and how we process your personal information when you join Newcastle Libraries.
Library membership is individual and non-transferable. Failure to adhere to this could result in library membership being suspended.
Obtaining full library membership
We have taken steps to protect and keep up-to-date the information we hold about you and also to make sure each library member can get the most out of Newcastle Libraries’ services and resources. This is why we ask every library member for proof of address (recent bank statement, utility bill, driving licence, etc.).
- If you are joining the library as a new member we will ask if you have proof of address when joining, this will allow us to give you full access to all library services for a year.
- If you are unable to visit in person, we will accept copies of your proof of address, sent to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to: Charles Avison Building, City Library, 33 New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8AX.
- We will accept proof of address as scans or photographs, it does not have to be original material.
- When joining if you don’t have proof of address we will give you a temporary membership which will allow you to borrow two books and use the libraries’ computers. This membership will expire after one month after which time you will have to provide proof of address if you wish to continue borrowing items or use our computers.
Your full library membership will expire after 1 year in order for us to ensure that the information we hold on you is up-to-date. Once your card has expired you will not be able to borrow any items or use any of our computers until you have confirmed your information is correct and your membership has been renewed.
Renewing your membership
As explained in the paragraph above your full membership expires after 1 year. If you have provided us with an email address we will send you advance notice that your membership is soon due for renewal.
You can request a renewal via our online form or in person in your local library. You will need to confirm that the information we hold about you is correct or give us your current details so we can update our records. This may include you showing us a proof of address.
Once your membership has been renewed you will be able to continue using your library card and PIN.
Requesting your card number or PIN
We advise you to have your library card with you when you use library services.
If you do not have your library card with you and need your number, we will ask you for proof of identity or address (e.g. passport, driving licence, bank card, utility bill, bank statement). This is to ensure that we only give your library card number to you.
If you forget your PIN it has to be reset. We do not want to risk giving your new PIN to someone who isn’t you, so in order for staff to reset your PIN for you we ask for proof of address or identity. We therefore cannot reset your PIN over the phone.