Computers, the internet and Wi-Fi in libraries
We offer free internet access in every library in Newcastle through our People's Network computers. To use our People's Network computers you will need your library ticket. You will also need to know your login number and password. If you're not already a library member, you can join for free.
- What is the People's Network?
We provide free access to the internet in all our libraries. All users of the People's Network must agree to abide by our Acceptable Use Policy. This is displayed before you log on to the PC and you can read it here: Acceptable Use Policy. We have:
- Microsoft Office on our PCs including Word, Excel, Access and Publisher,
- free access to Ancestry.com Library Edition,
- flat-bed scanners to digitise pictures and text, and a black and white printer and most libraries have a colour printer as well.
- How do I book?
You will need your library card number and PIN to book a session. You can book a session:
- yourself by using our "SignUp" stations in one of our libraries, by phone on 0191 277 4100 and ask for libraries, or
- When it's time for your session to begin, the computer you've booked will display your library card number and you will be able to log in. Please arrive within 10 minutes of your booked start time, or you will lose your booking.
- by asking a member of staff in the library.
- How much time do I have?
You can use the computers for a maximum of 2 hours per day, depending on availability. It is possible to book a further session if a computer is available, but it may not be the same computer you had been using. If you wish to book a further session, please ask a member of staff. If a computer is available to use immediately, the maximum time it is available for will show on the screen.
- What happens during the session?
To start your session, you will need your library card number and PIN. You must agree to our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You can print from any computer for a small charge, just follow the instructions on screen.
- We recommend that you save your work to an external memory card or your own cloud storage. You may save work to ‘My Documents’ or ‘desktop’ of the local drive, however, if there is network disruption during your session you may lose saved work.
- You will receive a prompt 30 minutes, 10 minutes and 2 minutes before your session ends.
- At the end of your session, the PC will time out automatically. Remember to log out if you want to leave before your session ends.
- Please note, Internet browsing history and documents saved to My Documents or the desktop will be deleted when your session is finished; this also applies during periods of network disruption.
- How much is printing?
A4 black and white: 20p per sheet
A4 colour: 40p per sheet
A3 black and white: 40p per sheet
A3 colour: 80p per sheet
Children are allowed up to 5 copies for homework purposes free of charge.
- Where is my login and pin?
If you do not know your login number and PIN, please contact a member of staff at your local library.
- Where Can I get Help & Support?
Do you want to use a computer but don't know where to start? We can help you learn the basics - how to use a PC to access and use the internet.
Getting stuck with your smartphone? We can help you get the most out of your personal device.
There are regular one-to-one taster sessions held at our libraries where a member of staff will sit down with you and go through everything step by step at a pace to suit you. To find out more see our Get Online Newcastle webpage, phone 0191 277 4100 or email email@example.com.
Try one of our online courses - a one to one IT taster session, or a more informal 'Techy Tea Party', or a 'Learn My Way' Online basics course
To book a place, just visit the Newcastle Libraries Events webpage. You will be asked for an email address to book your place, but don’t worry, if you don’t have one just use firstname.lastname@example.org. Your ticket will be emailed to us and we will post it out to you.
- Can I use Wi-Fi?
Did you know you can access a wireless network at over 50 public buildings across the city, including all Newcastle libraries? To use the Wi-Fi on your mobile device select the network ‘GoDigital_WiFi’ and follow the on-screen steps.