Computers, the internet and Wi-Fi in libraries
Free Internet Access
We offer FREE internet access in every library in Newcastle through our People's Network computers. To use our People's Network computers you will need your library ticket. You will also need to know your login number and password. If you're not already a library member, you can join for free.
- What is the People's Network?
- How much time do I have?
- How do I book?
- About your session
- How much is printing?
- Login number and PIN
- Advice and help with computers
- Can I use Wi-Fi?
- We provide free access to the internet in all our libraries.
- All our computers have Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Access and Publisher.
- All our computers have free access to Ancestry.com Library Edition.
- We also have flat bed scanners to digitise pictures and text.
- All libraries have a black and white printer and most have a colour printer as well.
- All users of the People's Network must agree to abide by our Acceptable Use Policy. This is displayed before you log on to the PC and you can read it here: Acceptable Use Policy
- You can use the computers for a maximum of 2 hours per day depending on availability. It is also possible to obtain further time if free computers are available. Please ask a member of staff.
- If a computer is available to use immediately, then the maximum time available will show on the screen.
- You can also make a booking to use a computer in advance. Phone 0191 277 4100 to book.
- You will need your library card number and PIN to book a session.
- You can book a session yourself by using our "SignUp" stations within a library.
- You can also ask a member of staff in person or by phone (0191 277 4100) to book a session for you.
When it's time for your session the computer you've booked will display your library card number and you will be able to log on. Remember, you must arrive within 10 minutes of the starting time, or you will lose your booking.
- To start your session, you will need your library card number and PIN.
- You will then be asked to agree to our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You can print from any computer for a small charge, just follow the instructions on screen.
- At the end of your session, the PC will time out automatically.
- You will receive a prompt 30 minutes, 10 minutes and 2 minutes before your session ends.
- Remember to log out if you want to leave before your session ends automatically.
- Customers may save material to memory devices or on the ‘My Documents’ or ‘desktop’ of the local drive.
- If there is network disruption during your session you may lose saved work - we recommend you save to an external memory card or to cloud storage
- Please note that all Internet borrowing history and saved documents will be deleted when your session is finished.
A4 Black and white: 20p per sheet
A4 Colour: 40p per sheet
A3 Black and white: 40p per sheet
A3 Colour: 80p per sheet
Children are allowed up to 5 copies for homework purposes free of charge.
If you do not know your login number and PIN, please contact a member of staff at your local library.
Want to use a computer but don't know where to start? Getting stuck with your smartphone? Want to learn how to Skype? We can help you learn how to access and use the internet. There are regular one to one taster sessions held at our libraries where a member of staff will sit down with you and go through everything step by step at a pace to suit you. To find out more phone 0191 277 4100 or email email@example.com.
If you still need help after your taster session ask the staff member to book you a free place on to a Learn My Way, Online Basics course, this course runs over 2 sessions (2 hours 30mins per session) and again you will get one to one support.
Alternatively if you have a device, smart phone, iPad, tablet of laptop that you still need help with, ask for a place on one of our Techy Tea Parties, again these are free and you will get one to one support, you can attend four of these sessions.
All of our courses are listed on the Newcastle Libraries Events page, just click HERE to see all of the dates available, you will need to have an email address to book your place, but don’t worry, if you don’t have one just use firstname.lastname@example.org make sure you put in your address and we will post your ticket to you.
Did you know you can access a wireless network at all Council-run libraries across the City?
To use the Wi-Fi on your mobile device select the network ‘GoDigital_WiFI’ and follow the on-screen steps.