Newcastle Upon Tyne
Specialist Support Assistant (VI)
THIS IS A CATEGORY "E" POST.
Please note that in all cases written references will be taken up and made available to interviewers BEFORE the final selection stage; even if you indicate otherwise
Full time - term time
£21,421 per annum, term time (pay award pending)
Required from September 2023, Newcastle Sensory Service is seeking to appoint a Specialist Support Assistant to join an enthusiastic team who support the achievements of children and young people with a visual impairment, their families, early years settings and schools across the city.
Although the successful candidate will be appointed to a city-wide Service, the role will initially be based in one of the Visual Impairment Additionally Resourced Provision (VIARP). The VIARPs are well-established and successful provisions and are an integral part of the host schools.
The successful candidate will have:-
• recent experience of working with children and young people with SEND within a mainstream K.S1, 2 or 3 setting.
• the ability to work with parents, other colleagues and relevant professionals.
• understanding of and commitment to inclusive education and an ability to work effectively as part of a multi-agency team
• willingness to achieve the relevant Level 3 specialist qualification ran by SEND Sensory Service, ‘Supporting children with visual impairment’
• be an enthusiastic, well motivated and adaptable individual with good organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
This interesting post offers the successful applicant a rewarding opportunity to develop their specialist skills within a successful citywide team.
Please refer to the job description and person specification for further details of this role. Applicants must evidence within their applications that they meet the person specification. References will be requested prior to interview.
Closing date: Wednesday 20th September 2023 at 10.59 p.m.
Shortlisting date: Friday 22nd September 2023
Interviews: week beginning 25th September 2023
We are strongly committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. The successful applicant will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS disclosure and a range of other recruitment checks.
As this post involves working with children, vulnerable adults or dealing with sensitive information, written references will be taken up and made available to interviewers before the final selection stage; even if you indicate otherwise.
Apply online at www.northeastjobs.org.uk, select 'Apply Now' and complete our online application form.
Term-time only (Permanent)
20 September 2023