Operations and Regulatory Services
Newcastle upon Tyne
Senior Technician (Food Safety)
£25,991 - £28,672 per annum
Food Safety Team
Newcastle City Council is an ambitious council in a vibrant city offering a highly varied workload across our many businesses and residents alike. This is an exciting opportunity to join our dynamic team in Food and Safety. This post would suit a newly qualified Environmental Health degree student working towards EHRB registration or other candidate with relevant food safety qualifications and experience. Assistance towards professional registration and/or further Environmental Health qualifications is available to the right candidate.
Ideally educated to degree standard, you will be EHRB registered or have a Higher Certificate in Food Premises Inspection or hold equivalent qualifications which have been formally assessed and endorsed by the CIEH. Previous experience of working as an Authorised Officer is desirable; mentoring towards Competency Framework requirements, as specified within the Food Law Code of Practice will be provided.
Our Environmental Health Officers/Senior Technicians engage primarily with the varied food businesses across the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. Your primary role will be to implement Food Safety, Food Standards, Health & Safety, Infectious Disease and Statutory Nuisance interventions accordingly.
What you’ll be doing:
• Enforcing food safety and food standards interventions through the FSA inspection programme, including advice on food labelling and allergens to businesses.
• Responding to a wide range of requests for service across the team.
• To record and report infectious disease investigations and associated food and environmental sampling.
• Support and advice for Public Health colleagues in relation to food poisoning and Covid outbreaks.
• Provide and maintain a high standard of customer service at all times.
• We also have a range of specialised project work including a number of Primary Authority agreements, food import and port health considerations at Newcastle International Airport, administration and processing of skin piercing and other cosmetic procedure applications.
What’s in it for you?
• A competitive basic salary
• Opportunity to participate with the Emergency Standby Response rota which attracts separate payments.
• Joint working with other teams across the Division with voluntary out of hours/overtime rotas
• Attractive LGPS
• Flexible working hours
• The opportunity to buy extra leave
• Cycle2work scheme
• Access to a salary sacrifice home electronics scheme.
• Weekend and bank holiday pay enhancement
• Preferential access to job opportunities internally prior to them being advertised externally
• Full support package including access to the Health Assured Employee Assistance Programme
• Full training and mentoring will be provided to ensure and maintain food inspection competency and continuous professional development.
• Countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that.
Our purpose is to support you and help you to achieve your best
What we’re looking for:
• Experience of dealing effectively with demanding members of the public
• Experience of dealing with difficult situations
• Ability to work alone or as part of a team
• Good numeracy and literacy skills
• Clean driving licence
• Suitability to work with client group
These posts are an amazing chance for ambitious professionals who have a passion for work in a busy Core City Business Environment.
For an informal discussion, and further qualification options, please contact Ed Foster, Head of Public Safety and Regulation on 0191 2116132.
Apply online at www.northeastjobs.org.uk, select 'Apply Now' and complete our online application form.
2 December 2021