St Mary's Catholic School, Benton Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7PE.
Head of Health and Social Care
THIS IS A CATEGORY "E" POST.
Please note that in all cases written references will be taken up and made available to interviewers BEFORE the final selection stage; even if you indicate otherwise
£25,714.00 - £41,604.00 per annum + TLR 2B £4,784
This school has Academy status and you will be employed by the Board of Trustees.
St Mary's Catholic School
Benton Park Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Number on Roll c.1400
Headteacher: E Patterson.
Required from Easter or September 2022
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Head of Health and Social Care to lead our flourishing Health and Social Care department. The successful candidate will lead and contribute to a department that prides itself on very high standards of teaching and learning. This role will involve ensuring that achievement, teaching, the curriculum and leadership/management, all remain first-class, at each key stage. The successful candidate will require the necessary skills and experience to develop the practice of staff within the department by providing leadership, motivation and training. This role should appeal both to candidates seeking their first significant leadership post, or to more experienced candidates already in a leadership role, looking to develop in an outstanding school which is totally committed to Health & Social Care. We realise that an Easter start may not be suitable for some candidates and therefore we are advertising this post for either an Easter or September start 2022.
St Mary’s is a great place to work and provides excellent job satisfaction, as it is a very supportive environment. We provide excellent CPD for NQTs and recently qualified teachers, as well as on-going training for more experienced teachers. There are opportunities for teachers at all levels to help develop teaching and learning across the school, working collaboratively with teachers from other departments, whether as coaches, researchers or SLEs. The working environment is, therefore, a very stimulating one for all staff and is an added attraction of this post.
St Mary’s is widely recognised as a consistently high performing school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. DfE Performance Tables confirm the school’s exceptional academic performance at each key stage and in each curriculum area. Outcomes have been in the top 10% nationally consistently over many years. We are very popular with parents and one of the most oversubscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1200 students in the main school and our Sixth Form of over 250 is expected to grow to around 300 in the next couple of years. We have fantastic teaching and support staff and also benefit from superb facilities in a lovely building which opened in 2011 and has been subsequently extended. We joined the Bishop Bewick Catholic Education Trust in June 2020.
At St Mary’s, Health and Social Care is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:
Key Stage 4
• 57% of BTEC Level 2 Health & Social Care grades were Level 2 Distinction or better over the last 4 years, and 75% Level 2 Merit or better
• 93% Level 2 Pass rate over the last 4 years
Key Stage 5
• 93% of BTEC Level 3 Diploma Health & Social Care students over the last 4 years achieved at least a Double Distinction, with 100% achieving Double Merit or higher
• 95% of BTEC Level 3 National Certificate Health & Social Care students achieved at least a Distinction, with 100% achieving Merit or higher
• 100% of BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Children’s Development were a Distinction or better in 2020 and 2021.
• Level 3 Value Added scores achieved in Health & Social Care in the last 2 years this was measured (2018 and 2019) were significantly above national standards
Leadership, teaching and the climate for learning in Health and Social Care are all outstanding, as they are across the whole school.
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a leader with:-
• A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
• A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
• A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
• An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
• The ability to promote a love of learning Health and Social Care in our students
Application packs are available to download from our school website, or by e-mailing the Director of Finance and Support Services, email@example.com. If you require any further information about the post, please do not hesitate to contact Suzanne Fisher, Director of Staffing on 0191 215 3260.
Closing date: 9.00am on Friday 3rd December 2021. Interviews will take place shortly after this date.
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
3 December 2021