Contents Insurance for Affordable Homes

Contents insurance is a crucial part of being able to get back on your feet after a disruptive event. Whilst the Council and partners do our part to make the city a safe, resilient place, we can’t guarantee won’t be affected by flooding, a fire, theft or vandalism. To guard against this, we recommend that where possible everyone has contents insurance as a minimum. Many people in Council Housing and affordable homes believe their landlord automatically insures against their furniture, possessions and decoration against events, but this is not the case, and it’s your responsibility to make sure you’re covered.

However, paying up front in advance can be difficult. If you rent from YHN or another social housing provider, your landlord may provide you with a more flexible home contents insurance scheme than from the market more generally. These let you pay on a flexible basis, based on what’s convenient for you; you can pay weekly, fortnightly, monthly or annually, to help you balance it with other demands on your bank balance.

The following landlords provide such a scheme:

Information for Newcastle City Council tenants

We recommend that you take out household contents insurance to insure your belongings.  You can do this either through a scheme arranged by Newcastle City Council or by making your own private arrangements. You can insure the contents of your home with any insurance company.  But, to make it easier and more affordable for you, Your Homes Newcastle and Newcastle City Council have worked with Royal & Sun Alliance to design a scheme just for tenants.

It’s a simple and affordable scheme which covers your furniture, belongings and decorations. Prices start from as little as 64p per week with premiums added to your rent so you don’t need to worry about keeping your payments up to date.

Visit YHN website for more information.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?