Electrification of heat: Heat pump information

Apply now and find out if your home is suitable.

What is a heat pump?

In its simplest form a heat pump is a device used to extract energy from the air or ground and converts this energy into useable heat, to heat your home and hot water. 

Heat pumps still require electricity to operate. However around 75 percent of the energy required is generated from the outside air or ground collector with only the remaining 25 percent coming from electricity.

This means that three quarters of the energy you use will be from a renewable source, which will significantly reduce emissions and your carbon impact.   

The whole point is to make sure the chosen system is right for the property and the needs of your home - We aim to achieve the same levels of comfort.  

How does a heat pump work?

Think about your fridge….in reverse! 

A fridge removes heat from the inside space and releases it to the outside space. A heat pump works in exactly the same way but in reverse, drawing the cold air from outside and releases it as heat inside, via your radiators.

Even if it is cold outside, a heat pump extracts heat from the air, ground or water and uses it to heat the home.

This is a form of renewable energy and in effect will never run out and is more efficient that your typical heating systems using fossil fuels.  

A diagram explaining an air source heat pumpA diagram explaining an air source heat pump

Types of Heat Pump

Air Source Heat Pumps

Air source heat pumps absorb heat from outside air.

The fan on the front of the unit works like a refrigerator, using a solution to warm or cool the air .

This heat is then transferred to the radiator and hot water circuits.

Air-To-Water systems heat water which is then circulated around the home via radiators or an underfloor heating system.

They can also be used to heat water in a storage tank for the bathroom or kitchen. 

Ground Source Heat Pumps 

Ground Source Heat Pumps absorb the suns energy stored in relatively shallow ground, like the ASHP they take heat from the outside ground and use a solution to heat covert useable heat. 

Hybrid Heat Pumps

Hybrid heat pumps combine an air source heat pump and gas boiler to optimise energy efficiency from outdoor temperatures.

Smart programming automatically calculates the most economically and efficient combination based on energy prices, outdoor temperature and indoor capacity and demand. 

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?