Council Tax - Appeals against charge

Council Tax - Appeals against charge

Coronavirus - Information relating to Council Tax 

Appeals against Council Tax Liability

There are a number of decisions the Council may have to make in determining whether you are liable and how much Council Tax you are liable to pay. You are entitled to formally appeal against any of these decisions.

You can appeal if:

  • You disagree with our decision that a dwelling is chargeable (i.e. you believe it should be exempt)
  • You disagree with our decision that you are liable to pay Council Tax on a particular dwelling (e.g. you are not the resident or the owner)
  • You disagree with certain aspects of the calculation of your bill (e.g. a discount has not been applied or no reduction for disabilities has been given)

Firstly, you must write to the Council Tax Section, Revenues Department, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH. You should state your name and address, the reference number on your bill (if known) and explain what you object to and why.

When we receive your letter, we may need to ask you for further information. If we reject your arguments, or if we act on your complaint but you are still not satisfied, or at the end of two months you have not heard from us, you will be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal,  we can give you the address of your local Tribunal who will explain what you need to do to continue your appeal.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax in the meantime. If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?