Care and personal support

Personal care and support can help you to live more comfortably and independently.  Getting help at the right time can help you to continue to enjoy life, plan ahead and make choices that are right for you.

You can buy your own care and support or you get support from the council to help you plan ahead and make choices. 

care and support assessment from the council will ask questions to help you:

  • find out what support you need to help you live independently at home
  • see if you’re eligible for some paid support from the Council
  • offer information and advice on what support might be available locally

You can request a care and support assessment online or contact Community Health and Social Care Direct.

You don't have to have an assessment but it's a great way to find out what help you might need to make life easier for you.


When might I need care and support?

If you are having problems managing daily tasks or getting around your home, you may have care and support needs.  These may be short or long-term needs related to illness or disability.  For example you may have difficulty with:

  • getting in and out of your bath
  • preparing a meal
  • using a telephone
  • getting dressed
  • getting on and off chairs or your bed
  • remembering to take your pills
  • going up and down the stairs
  • getting around indoors or outdoor

Where can I find care and support?

Your Equipment Newcastle where you can find and buy equipment to make your daily living easier.

Meals at Home is a meal delivery service run by the Council.

Laundry services can be found InformationNOW.

Home care agencies can be employed to help you at home

A personal assistant can help you with personal care, work, accessing community facilities as well as social and educational activities. You can recruit and employ your own assistant or Disability North can help you to write and advertise the post.

Interested in becoming a Personal Assistant? See all of the current vacancies  on Disability North's website.


Home care companies

You can arrange your own home care support or it can be arranged by the Council if you are eligible. 

Home care includes help with:

  • washing and dressing
  • eating and drinking
  • cleaning and laundry
  • and/or support with
  • taking your medication
  • keeping your home tidy and clean
  • getting through the night, for example, getting to the toilet
  • getting outdoors or to an activity

If you are arranging your own care and support you may find it helpful to see our list of home care agencies in Newcastle. 

Day services

There are services that you can attend for a day or two during the week.  These include:

Need more information?

Contact Community Health and Social Care Direct


Phone: 0191 278 8377

Textphone: 0191 278 8359

Mobile: 07968 474891

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

Emergency helpline outside normal hours: 0191 278 7878

Report abuse or neglect: 0191 278 8156

Try the new virtual advisor:

Launch Chatbot


Contact Disability North


Phone: 0191 284 0480  

Textphone: 018001 0191 2840480

Minicom number: 0191 285 7261


Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?