Neighbourhood planning gives local communities the opportunity to draw up their own plans and proposals for shaping the future of their areas, as long as they comply with national and local strategic policies.
There are three types of neighbourhood planning available to communities:
- Neighbourhood Plan - establish your vision and planning policies for the future development of land in your local community area. A neighbourhood plan will form part of the City Council's statutory local development plan against which all planning applications and development proposals will be decided.
- Neighbourhood Development Order - allows you to grant planning permission for certain types of development that you want to see go ahead in your community area.
- Community Right to Build Order - allows you to grant planning permission for the local community to build small-scale developments such as housing, community facilities or shops.
Neighbourhood planning cannot be used to block the building of the homes and businesses considered to be necessary to meet the City's current and future needs. However, you can use it to influence the type, design, location and mix of new development.
For further guidance on the tools available through Neighbourhood Planning please see the following links:
As well as the above Neighbourhood Planning tools there may be other ways of achieving your goals, including commenting on the Council's own policies or submitting a planning application. If you are thinking about Neighbourhood Planning for your area, please contact us so we can help you through the process and to advise you on the best tools to achieve your goals.
The following Neighbourhood Areas have been designated within the City Council boundary:
- Dinnington Parish Neighbourhood Area
- Woolsington Parish Neighbourhood Area
- Kingston Park Neighbourhood Area
A map showing all designated Neighbourhood Areas within the Newcastle City Council boundary can be downloaded on the following link:
Newcastle City Council has received applications from Ouseburn Futures to designate:
- 'Ouseburn Valley Neighbourhood Area'
- 'Ouseburn Valley Neighbourhood Forum'
The consultation period on these application closed on 29 February 2016. A decision on the applications will be made in due course by the City Council's Cabinet.
Further details can be viewed on the following link:
Planning Policy - Neighbourhood Planning
Investment and Development Directorate
Newcastle City Council
Newcastle upon Tyne
Phone: 0191 211 5004