The Building Act 1984 contains provisions that enable local authorities to control demolition works for the protection of the public safety and to ensure adjoining premises and the site are made good on completion of the demolition. A notice of conditions is issued that require certain works to be undertaken to achieve these aims.

Is a demolition notice required for all work?

No. Demolition notices are not required for the following:

  • Greenhouses, conservatories, prefabricated garages, sheds and agricultural buildings.
  • When work is being carried out to comply with a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957.
  • Where the building to be demolished has a volume of less than 1750 cubic feet, 49.56 cubic metres.

In other circumstances, where demolition of a building or part of a building takes place, the owner must inform the Council by submitting a Building Act Section 80 Demolition Notice.

How to submit a Section 80 Demolition Notice

Applications for demolition should be made 6 weeks prior to the intended demolition. The notice must be by the person undertaking/procuring the work.

On receipt of the Section 80 Notice, Building Control Services will serve a counter notice (Section 81 Notice) notifying you of the required precautions to be undertaken and any other relevant conditions will be included in the counter notice.

A Section 80 Demolition Notice form and guidance notes can be accessed here. Demolition Notice - Application form and notes (Word, 398kb).


The current charge for a demolition notice is £200 and will be payable by the applicant. Cheques should be made payable to 'Newcastle City Council'. In order to speed the process, please make your payment at the same time as depositing your application.

For further information

Phone: 0191 278 7878 and ask for Building Control
Post: Building Control Section, Public Safety and Regulation, Newcastle City Council, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH

Page last updated: 
7 July 2017
Was this page useful?