Travel to work in a way that is cheaper, greener and healthier.
Newcastle City Council is working with neighbouring authorities to promote the Go Smarter to Work programme.
The programme has been developed for employers and employees in four key employment areas:
- Newcastle and Gateshead City Centres
- Team Valley, and
We want to:
- Get more people walking and cycling to work so we can cut traffic problems and get people healthier and fitter.
- Reduce congestion to boost our economy, making sure people and deliveries aren’t late and our productivity doesn’t decline.
- Help local businesses save money by improving operational efficiency, increasing staff retention and reducing absenteeism.
The Go Smarter Initiative includes:
- Cycle Smart - Go Smarter to Work offer a range of activities and support to help you get the most out of your bike.
- Drive Smart - Drive Smart is all about giving you the opportunity to drive more efficiently when other forms of transport are not an option for your journey to work.
- Ticket Smart - Go Smarter to Work can help you explore public transport options and how they could work for you.
- Travel Smart - Through a Personalised Journey Plan, Go Smarter to Work can show you all of the options for your journey to work and Travel Pack full of relevant information and incentives.
- Walk Smart - Go Smarter offer a range of fun sessions designed to get you thinking about walking.
Go Smarter annually presents Bronze, Silver and Gold Accreditation Awards to businesses and organisations within the key employment areas that work to encourage Smarter Travel. There are also Associate Awards to businesses and schools who sit outside of these areas, but who’ve shown dedication to being eco-friendly travellers.
Newcastle City Council have achieved Gold Level Accreditation for its work in promoting Smarter Travel.
Find out more
- Visit the Go Smarter website
- Follow Go Smarter to Work on Twitter Twitter.com/GoSmarterToWork