If you wish to apply for a licence please use one of the following options:

Apply online

Other ways to apply

Download the Tower Crane Licence Form and email streetworks@newcastle.gov.uk .

You can pay for your licence by sending a cheque made payable to Newcastle City Council and returning to Streetworks, 9th Floor, Civic Centre, Barras Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8QH or by calling the Payment Line on (0191) 2787878 ask for payments. Please say "Highways" when prompted by the automated service which will put you through to an operator.

Please ensure your contact details are correct.

How much does it cost?

The cost of the licence is £1,285.21 for a new licence and £129.29 for a extension to a existing licence.

You can pay for your licence by either sending a cheque made payable to Newcastle City Council or ringing the Payment Line on 0191 277 7208 to pay by card. When the form is returned it will take approximately one month for completion and signature. If a road closure is required this process may take longer.

Information required

  • Completed application form
  • Sketch of proposed traffic management 
  • Site location plan
  • Public liability insurance
  • Details of parking suspensions
  • Payment

Notes for Applicants

These notes are to clarify the procedures for a licence application. The application form will clearly state what we require from yourself and what you can expect from Newcastle City Council.

Newcastle City Council has a duty of care as a Highway Authority to ensure that a licence is provided for all tower cranes that meet the criteria.  In order to carry out this duty we need to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the delivery, use, construction and dismantling of the crane on the site or adjacent to the highway is carried out in a safe manner and without risk to any highway users. We can only reasonably be expected to act on this when these are notified to ourselves.

The duties and responsibilities in law rest primarily with the Principal or Main Contractor, carriage company and the operative.

What is required?

  • If the tower crane is to be erected within the development boundaries and the over sail is not over the adopted highway then you do not need a licence
  • If however the tower crane is within the development boundaries and does not over sail but you need to have a mobile crane to erect the tower crane then you need a mobile crane licence

You will have to consider the transportation of any tower cranes and accessibility to sites- these may require a road to be closed or permission for a abnormal load within Newcastle City.  This should be discussed with our Traffic Management Section and further charges may apply in addition to the licence charges.

This licence is to allow a crane to oversail the public highway and it does not take away the responsibility for the Developer/Contractor to seek approval for oversailing private property.  Evidence will be required that the Developer/Contractor has informed residents that their property will be over sailed by the crane jib.

The responsibility for all health and safety on site rests with the principal main contractor.  This also relates to public safety and to ensure compliance with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER).

The Licensee shall maintain full comprehensive public liability insurance in the sum of not less than ten million pounds (£10,000,000.00) for any one occurrence or series of occurrences arising out of one event against liability to any person arising from the erection, operation, maintenance, dismantling, transportation and removal of the Cranes or exercise of the rights granted by this License ("Third Party Insurance")

Our Streetworks Inspector will visit the site and assess accessibility once the application form has been received.

The work is inspected by the Highway Control Officer who will discuss any problems with the applicant.
Applications can be processed in four working weeks. The application form once completed will give details of unloading, transportation and any potential obstructions in relation to the erection of the crane.

The licence will be provided once the dates for carrying out the work have been confirmed and monies paid. You may have to give up to three months advance notice of the work depending on its duration and impact on traffic. The licence is time limited, and any extension will incur further legal and administrative costs.



Communities Directorate, Administrative Team, Newcastle City Council, 9th floor, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH
Phone: 0191 277 7369
Email: streetworks@newcastle.gov.uk

Page last updated: 
6 September 2016
Was this page useful?