The Road Safety Team deliver a range of programmes and initiatives aimed at helping people who live, work and visit Newcastle stay safe when they are out and about.
Early Years Road Safety
Early Years Road safety education is promoted from a young age. Our dedicated Early Years Advisors teach young children in nursery, reception and key stage 1 basic road safety messages to help keep them safe. Special attention is given to remind young children to stay with a responsible adult at all times and to hold hands when they are out and about. Be safe be seen, cycle safety and road awareness are also key messages.
WalkSmart Pedestrian Training
This is the Councils child pedestrian training programme which is delivered in schools to children in year 3. The programme consists of an outdoor practical sessions and a classroom discussion encouraging children to think about key road safety messages.
Walk to School Week and Walk to School Month
These events take place twice a year in May and Oct and aims to encourage more children and their parents to walk to school. www.walktoschool.org.uk
School Crossing Patrols
The City's School Crossing Patrol Officers, or Lollipops as they are often known, help both children and adults cross busy roads near schools. The School Crossing Patrols are an essential part of the road safety team and make Newcastle a safer city to live and work.
Newcastle City Council offer and deliver Bikeability Cycle Training to schools across the City. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
In schools level 1 and 2 cycle training is delivered to year 5 pupils with each child receiving up to 8 hours of training over a 2 week period. Our staff are trained to national standard, for more info go to www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability
Cycle Training is also available for all adults that live, work or study in the City. This Training is provided by BikeRight - please see their website for more details.
Cycle Smart Cycle Training
- Cycle Smart Basic. Children are taught to ride a bike from scratch. This service is available via schools for children aged 6 and over. An adult version of the course is also available at participating schools for parents and carers.
- Cycle Smart Intermediate. Children participate in 3 sessions which involve practical training in the school grounds and cycle related homework. All children are encouraged to take part in the training and take a practical test at the end of the third session.
- Cycle Smart Advanced. On road training for children from 11 years to adults. This is available on request.
National Bike Week
Each year different schools are invited to take part in cycle trips from Newburn to Wylam. Over a week long event we take 30 children per day and teach them to cycle on an off road environment on the scenic Newburn to Wylam route. The rides are lead by experienced cycle trainers and we are supported by teaching staff from the schools. www.bikeweek.org.uk
- Road Respect - A young driver's campaign is about making the roads safer in the North East for all road users. The campaign aims to change the culture on the roads and foster respect for the law, other road users and individual young drivers. 'Road Respect' - www.roadrespect.org,
- Winter Driving - This campaign offers advice on safer driving in winter conditions and is provided by the Highways Agency. Winter driving advice - www.highways.gov.uk
- Morning after Driving - This campaign highlights the misunderstanding of alcohol units and how many drivers are unaware of potential morning after affects of drinking alcohol the night before. www.morning-after.org.uk or http://think.direct.gov.uk/drink-driving.html
Education and Training
- SafetyWorks! The Road Safety Team is key partners with the Fire Service at SafetyWorks! An interactive safety centre especially created to deliver a range of safety messages. Visitors to the centre will take part in several scenarios including the road scene which has a fully operational puffin crossing and a video wall ideal for discussion and role play. www.safetyworks.org.uk
- Schools Go Smarter A range of transport related activities for schools aimed at engaging children, parents and carers in sustainable travel practices for the school journey. www.gosmarter.co.uk
- School Travel Plans A School Travel Plan is a package of measures aimed at improving road safety and reducing car use. School Travel Plans look at the travel patterns of pupils and staff with the aim of making it easier for them to choose walking, cycling or public transport as their way of getting to and from school. Every school in Newcastle has a School Travel Plan and we are now in the process of updating and reviewing documents to reflect the changes that have occurred at many schools. You can get support for updating your travel plan from the Councils Road Safety Team.
- Student Travel Fact File An essential guide for all pupils who are moving from primary to secondary schools. The guide provides pupils and parents with all the bus and metro information they will need to get to and from school. For more information about public transport visit Nexus. www.nexus.org.uk
Latest News and Events
The Road Safety Team attends many events each year and meets members of the public to deliver training and educational messages.
Resources - A range of printed resources are available on request.
Ghost Street. A 10 minute film and guide aimed at 12 years + showing a series of serious incidents. The film is provided free to all secondary schools in Newcastle. www.ghoststreet.co.uk
Good Egg Guides to In Car Safety. A booklet designed to help parents and carers choose and fit the right car seat for their child. - www.childcarseats.org.uk www.goodeggsafety.com
Good Egg Guides for Parents of New Drivers. This booklet includes all the information parents need to help their child be a safer driver. www.parentsofnewdrivers.com/
Good Egg Guide to Older persons Road Safety. This booklet is designed to keep older drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and bus users up to date with the latest information and advice while out and about. www.olderpersonsroadsafety.co.uk/
Stepping Out Together A Lesson For Life. This colourful and engaging book aimed at 3 year olds is provided free of charge to children across the City.
If you would like to contact the Road Safety Team, please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0191 211 5961.