In order to ensure that this junction operates efficiently now and in the future, improvements are required.
As part of the Strategic Land Release (SLR), Newcastle City Council and Highways England commissioned independent consultants JMP to undertake a study into the impact of new developments on the existing highway network. The Kingston Park Road/Fawdon Lane junction was identified for improvements in the short term given the existing levels of congestion and forthcoming developments. Funding for the improvements has been secured from Section 106 agreements and Highways England.
At present, traffic turning right from Kingston Park Road into Fawdon Lane can queue all the back across the Kingston Park Road/A1 roundabout, leading to queues west of the A1 and on the A1 itself. This leads to some traffic movements being blocked, making congestion in the area worse.
What has happened so far?
- The principle of improvements to this junction was endorsed by Cabinet on 25 November 2015, see item 10 here: https://democracy.newcastle.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=857&MId=6406&Ver=4
- Officers met with Fawdon members to discuss the proposal and the engagement process in November 2016
- An engagement period was held in December 2016 (see below)
- The comments received were used to amend the scheme
- Final designs were drawn up
- Funding was confirmed
- A noise/vibration assessment was undertaken. View the report here.
- Properties close to the junction received a letter informing them of the works with contact details should they need to contact us during the construction period
- Temporary signing was installed advising those travelling through the area of the forthcoming works
- Work began on relocating and replacing lighting columns
- Work to widen the carriageway, install improved pedestrian and cyclist facilities, and the replacement of the traffic signals has started
An engagement period was held in December 2016; we received a number of comments from Let’s Talk, to a dedicated email address and via a webpage. We have used the comments received to revise the scheme.
A summary of the comments received and our response to them is available here:
Kingston Park Road will be widened slightly on both the northern and southern sides to accommodate an additional eastbound lane. This will ensure that traffic wishing to turn right has a dedicated lane, allowing other traffic to travel through the junction and relieving pressure on the A1 roundabout and the roads to the west of the A1.
As part of the improvements, new traffic signals will be installed to ensure signal timings can be made more efficient and react to the traffic demands. A sensor is proposed to ensure that should traffic be queued back close to the exit from the A1 roundabout, the signals will change to ensure that the network can operate effectively.
We will also create a shared pedestrian / cycle way to the south of Kingston Park between the A1 and Fawdon Lane and improvements to crossing points at this junction. We will relocate or replace trees required for these improvement works – this work will be carried out in the appropriate planting season.
This drawing shows the improvements:
This drawing shows the locations of the new trees
- Construction will continue until Autumn 2017 – work will soon commence on widening the carriageway to the south of Kingston Park Road.
- Some evening work (taking place between 7pm and 10pm) will take place in the weeks commencing 24 July 2017 and 31 July 2017 to remove the surface of the road. Some noise disruption is expected.
- The entrance to and exit from Fawdon lane will be closed on Sunday 30 July 2017 and Sunday 6 August 2017 to allow for the improvement works to be carried out safely and efficiently – this will include road resurfacing, road marking and the installation of traffic signals
- Work will continue at this junction during the week commencing 07 August 2017
- The improvements will be complete by late August 2017.
- https://www.roadworks.org/ shows the location and duration of the roadworks
- The email address for any queries related to this scheme is: email@example.com
- Proposals for Kingston Park Road to the West of the A1 will be developed to further address issues in this area of the city – you can read the comments submitted here: https://kprwest.commonplace.is/about
- We will develop a wider programme of junction improvements as a result of the Strategic Land Release.