Leader and cabinet
Leader and cabinet
Cabinet is the part of the Council that is responsible for most strategic decisions.
It comprises the leader of the council, deputy leader, eight councillors with portfolio responsibilities, and three councillors who are assistant members.
Decisions are either made by Cabinet, a committee of the Cabinet, individual members of the Cabinet or officers under powers delegated by Cabinet.
Members of Cabinet
Councillor Nick Forbes Leader of the council
Councillor Karen Kilgour Deputy Leader of the council
- Councillor Ged Bell Cabinet member for Development, Neighbourhoods and Transport
- Councillor Paula Holland Cabinet member for Education and Skills
- Councillor Joyce McCarty Cabinet member for Inclusive Economy
- Councillor Stella Postlethwaite Cabinet member for Policy Co-ordination and Communications
- Councillor Irim Ali Cabinet member for Community Services and Public Engagement
- Councillor Clare Penny-Evans Cabinet member for Climate Change and Public Safety
- Councillor John-Paul Stephenson Cabinet member for Public Health and Culture
- Councillor Linda Hobson Cabinet member for Housing and Regulatory Services
Assistant Cabinet members
- Councillor Charlie Gray
- Councillor Alex Hay
- Councillor Stephen Lambert
When major decisions are to be discussed or made, these are published in the Cabinet's forward plan (28 Day Notice).
Cabinet has to make decisions, which are in line with the Council's overall policies and budget.
If it wishes to make a decision, which is outside the budget or policy framework, this must be referred to the Council as a whole to decide.
Cabinet meetings are open to the public, except where personal or confidential matters are being discussed.
Contact the Cabinet
For Cllrs Bell, McCarty, Penny-Evans and Hobson please contact Phil Mann on 0191 277 7101 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Pages in this area
- Cabinet for Housing and Regulatory Services
- Cabinet member for Climate Change and Public Safety
- Cabinet member for Community Services and Public Engagement
- Cabinet member for Education and Skills
- Cabinet member for Inclusive Economy
- Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods and Transport
- Cabinet member for Policy Co-ordination and Communications
- Cabinet member for Public Health and Culture
- Deputy leader of the council
- Leader of the council