Cycle routes near NewcastleGateshead
NewcastleGateshead is the ideal place to set off on your cycling journey across some of the North-East's beauty spots. Several scenic cycle routes pass through or near to the City, taking in breathtaking landscapes, staggering coastal views, beautiful countryside and historical sites. These routes include:
- The Hadrian's Cycleway - National Route 72, from South Shields to Silloth, taking in the World Heritage sites of Hadrian's Wall
- The Coast and Castles Cycle Route - National Route 1, from Newcastle to Edinburgh
- The Coast to Coast - National Route 7, from Tynemouth to Whitehaven, taking in the Keelmans Way and Derwent Walk
- The South Tyne Trail, from the Source of the Tyne to Alston and Haltwhistle
- The Three Rivers route taking in the Tyne, Wear and Tees rivers.
Further afield you can enjoy:
- The Pennine Cycleway - National Route 68, from Cumbria to Berwick upon Tweed
- The Reivers Route - Regional Route 10, from Northumberland to the Wear
- National Route 20, which runs from Tynemouth to Gretna.
There are a number of places in Newcastle and Gateshead where you can hire cycles and cycling equipment. Some providers offer short-term, casual use, whilst others permit hire for longer periods.
Co-owned by Newcastle Cycle Centre and holiday company Saddle Skedaddle, this chilled out cafe/bike shop is smack bang on the Coast to Coast route.
The Coast to Coast cycle route is one of the UK's key challenge rides, attracting tens of thousands of riders each year. Those riding past Spillers Quay on Newcastle Quayside will now be able to grab a coffee while buying spares or having their bikes fixed. More information on Cycle Hub.
Newburn Activity Centre
Newburn Activity Centre is close to Newcastle city centre on the banks of the River Tyne in the beautiful Tyne Valley. You can hire a bike and explore the surrounding Tyne Riverside Country Park, or cycle along the Hadrian's Cycleway between Newburn and the town of Wylam, home to the George Stephenson Birthplace Museum (National Trust) and the award-winning Boathouse pub. Ryton Willows Nature Reserve is also nearby.
For more information, please visit the Newburn Activity Centre website.
Whickham Thorns Outdoor Activity Centre
Bike hire is available to Gateshead Active Card holders at the Whickham Thorns Centre. For more information, visit Whickham Thorns Outdoor Activity Centre website.