We use a library management system called Koha. The library management system is where all the information on library members and library collections is stored; it is the key system for running the library service.
How this affects you
- Your PIN: staff are not able to see your PIN. This means that if you forget it then it will have to be reset. We do not want to risk giving your new PIN to someone who isn’t you, so in order for staff to reset your PIN for you we ask for proof of address or identity (see more about that below).
- To help you avoid overdue fines the system sends you a reminder email to bring your items back on time, seven days before their due date. You will also receive an email if the return date has passed and your items are overdue. To enable this feature on your account we will need you to provide us with a valid email address. We do not send overdue letters in the post.
Protecting your personal information
We have taken steps to protect and keep up-to-date the information we hold about you and also to make sure each library member can get the most out of Newcastle Libraries’ services and resources. This is why we ask every library member for proof of address (recent bank statement, utility bill, driving licence, etc.).
- If you do not have your library card with you and need your number, we will ask you for proof of identity or address (e.g. passport, driving licence, bank card, utility bill, bank statement). This is to ensure that we only give your library card number to you.
- If you are joining the library as a new member we will ask if you have proof of address when joining, this will allow us to give you full access to all library services for a year.
If you are unable to visit in person, we will accept copies of your proof of address, sent to our email address, firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to: Charles Avison Building, City Library, 33 New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8AX
We will accept proof of address as scans or photographs, it does not have to be original material.
- When joining if you don’t have proof of address we will give you a temporary membership which will allow you to borrow two books and use the libraries’ computers but not borrow DVDs or BluRays. This membership will expire after one month after which time you will have to provide proof of address if you wish to continue borrowing items or use our computers.
- A library membership card is non-transferable and must only be used by the individual to whom it is intended. Failure to adhere to this could result in library membership being suspended.
Your library membership will continue to expire each year in order for us to ensure that the information we hold on you is up-to-date. Once your card has expired you will not be able to borrow any items or use any of our computers until you have confirmed your information is correct.