From 8 February 2018, we will use a new library management system called Koha. The library management system is where all the information on library members and library collections is stored; it is the key system for running the library service. For more information, please click here.
From 8 February 2018 we will use a new library management system called Koha. The library management system is where all the information on library members and library collections is stored; it is the key system for running the library service.
How this will affect you
We will use this change of system to also update some of our processes and policies.
- Your PIN: with the new system staff will not be able to see your PIN anymore. This means that if you forget it then it will have to be reset. We do not want to risk giving your new PIN to someone who isn’t you, so in order for staff to reset your PIN for you we will now ask for proof of address or identity (see more about that below).
- To help you avoid overdue fines the new system will send you a reminder email to bring your items back on time, seven days before their due date. You would also receive an email when the return date has passed and your items are overdue. To enable this feature on your account we will need you to provide us with a valid email address. We will no longer be sending overdue letters in the post.
Protecting your personal information
We are taking steps to protect and keep up-to-date the information we hold about you and also to make sure each library member can get the most out of Newcastle Libraries’ services and resources. This is why we will now be asking every library member for proof of address (recent bank statement, utility bill, driving licence, etc.).
- If you are currently a library member and you have not shown us proof of address, your membership will expire on 8 March 2018. Do show us a proof of address before that date to update your account and keep using your library services without interruption.
- If you miss the date you will not be able to use library computers and online resources or borrow items, as your account will have expired. You can re-join at any time by showing us proof of address.
- If you do not have your library card with you and need your number, we will ask you for proof of identity or address (e.g. passport, driving licence, bank card, utility bill, bank statement). This is to ensure that we only give your library card number to you.
- If you are joining the library as a new member we will ask if you have proof of address when joining, this will allow us to give you full access to all library services for a year.
- When joining if you don’t have proof of address we will give you a temporary membership which will allow you to borrow two books and use the libraries’ computers but not borrow DVDs or BluRays. This membership will expire after one month after which time you will have to provide proof of address if you wish to continue borrowing items or use our computers.
Your library membership will continue to expire each year in order for us to ensure that the information we hold on you is up-to-date. Once your card has expired you will not be able to borrow any items or use any of our computers until you have confirmed your information is correct.