Newcastle City Council is now an Employment Service Disability Symbol user.
In using the symbol we are building on our existing good practice, and in particular we are committed to the following when recruiting and employing disabled people:
To interview all applicants with a disability who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and consider them on their abilities.
To ensure there is a mechanism in place to discuss, at any time, but at least once a year, with disabled employees what we and they can do to make sure they can develop and use their abilities.
To make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment.
To take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make our commitments work.
Each year to review the five commitments and what has been achieved, to plan ways to improve on them and let employees and the Employment Service know about progress and future plans.
What is Newcastle City Council doing to assist disabled people applying for jobs and disabled employees?
- We show our commitment to good practice by being an Employment Service Disability Symbol user.
- We provide job details and accept job applications in alternative formats, Braille, audio and large print.
- We guarantee to interview job applicants with a disability who meet the essential criteria for a post as detailed on the person specification.
- We make arrangements for the use of signers/interpreters if required to assist in the selection process for jobs, and discuss workplace adaptations for people with a disability at the time of job offer.
- We provide funding for workplace adaptations and aids in order for people with disabilities to secure or remain in employment with us.