If you have a relative coming to live with you from abroad, Newcastle City Council Council must carry out an inspection of the property to ensure that it meets the legal minimum standard. The Council will also need to make sure that it will not be overcrowded when the immigrant arrives.
A fee is charged for the inspection which is reviewed every year. The fee is currently £123 which must be paid when the on-line application form is completed.

You will be contacted by the Council to arrange a mutually convenient time for the inspection to be carried out.

At the time of the inspection, you will be required to provide the following evidence:

  • Proof of your ownership or tenancy of the property. Evidence can include the Title Deeds, Mortgage Statement, correspondence from your mortgage provider or a current Tenancy Agreement. If you are not the owner we will require details of who does own the property and confirmation that they have authorised the increase in occupation.
  • If the property is privately rented a copy of the gas safety certificate (CP12)

You will be asked to show the Officer around the whole property, outlining who occupies the house, and which rooms they sleep in.

During the course of the inspection, the Officer will make a judgment on whether the property is suitable and safe for occupation, and whether it would become statutorily overcrowded by the addition of the person seeking entry to the UK.

When the inspections and investigation is completed, you will receive a letter, usually within 7 days of the inspection that will state:

  • Your name and the name(s) of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK.
  • The address of the property inspected.
  • Who owns, and who occupies the property.
  • How the property is occupied, and by whom.
  • Whether the property is free from Category 1 hazards as described by the Housing Act 2004.
  • Whether the property would be statutorily overcrowded by the addition of the person seeking entry to the UK

As applicant, you are then responsible for ensuring the letter is received by the appropriate authority in support of the application for immigration.

If you would like to request this service please complete the on line application form using the link below:

Apply and Pay for a house inspection for immigration purposes

Page last updated: 
28 December 2017
Was this page useful?