You can claim Housing Benefit and or Council tax reduction in a number of circumstances, for example if:

  • you are on income support or job seekers allowance
  • you are on a low income
  • you are employed or self employed  
  • you are in receipt of pension credit

Other ways to claim

  • Phone us on 0191 278 7878 (ask for "Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction"), and we will arrange a convenient time to complete the form with you over the phone
  • Please contact us and we will be happy to help you complete the form
  • Phone us and ask for a home visit

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Calculator

What happens next

Once we assess your claim for Housing Benefit and or Council tax reduction, we will notify you in writing of our decision.

Further information

For more information about Housing Benefit please visit our Housing Benefit pages

Page last updated: 
27 March 2015
Was this page useful?