“Slums were not, and are not, intended for the men who have won this great war,” he said. “There must be no patching up of this problem. Housing of the people must be a national concern, and must be undertaken as such.”
More than 13,000 properties in the city look set to be licensed after a wide-ranging public consultation.
The scheme - if Cabinet agrees to implement it at a meeting on June 17 - is expected to generate £8.5m over a five-year period - money which will be invested to support tenants, including more inspectors and enforcement officers.
The city will be taking part in the World’s Big Sleepout on December 7 with tens of thousands of people across the planet ditching their comfy mattresses for a night open to the elements.
The aim is to raise vital funds for the city’s Street Zero initiative, launched late last year in a bid to end rough sleeping on the streets of Newcastle.
Cllr Nick Forbes, leader of Newcastle City Council, said: “We’re proud that Newcastle is a city that has already made great strides in tackling homelessness, but our work will not be done until it has been eradicated.
Newcastle City Council has received £16m from Government for infrastructure improvements to support the construction of thousands of new homes.
The money will be used to build roads, junctions and a school enabling the council to work with developers to bring sites to the market.
It will aid the construction of 5,282 homes across the city.
The Government’s Housing Infrastructure Fund will help deliver up to 100,000 new homes in England with £2.3 billion in capital grants to local authorities.