We're offering FREE childcare places for some two year olds in Newcastle.
- Free childcare can give your child a great start in life
- Playing and exploring will help your child learn lots of new skills, such as speaking, listening, counting
- You'll have time to work, train or just have some time for yourself.
Find out if you can claim a free place.
- Can I claim a free childcare place?
- When can I take up my free childcare place?
- How can I check if I am eligible?
- Where can I get my free childcare place?
You could be entitled to 15 hours per week of free early education and childcare for your child at a playgroup, day nursery, childminder or in a nursery school.
Am I eligible?
From September 2014 approximately 50% of children will be eligible.
- Households where a parent is in receipt of any of the following benefits - Income support, Income-based Job Seekers' Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Receiving the Guarantee elements of the State Pension Credit;
- Receiving support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
- Receiving Child Tax Credit, and have annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HMRC;
- Receiving Working Tax Credit with a household income of less than £16,190 as assessed by HMRC;
- Receiving Universal Credit - if you and your partner have a combined income from work of less than £15,400 a year after tax
- Child is 'Looked After' by the Local Authority;
- Child is 'Looked After' by the Local Authority; or has left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order;
- Child is receiving Disability Living Allowance (or with a current statement of special education needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan).
Your child can have a free two-year-old childcare place from the term after their second birthday until the start of the term after their third birthday.
A child born between...
- 1 April to 31 August will be eligible for a free place from the start of the Autumn school term (early September)
- 1 September to 31 December will be eligible for a free place from the start of the Spring school term (early January)
- 1 January to 31 March will be eligible for a free place from the start of the Summer school term (early Easter)
If you think you meet the criteria and would like to take up your place you can:
- visit your local playgroup, nursery, childminder, nursery school or
- visit or contact your local Sure Start Children's Centre
To check your eligibility you will need:
- Your child's name and date of birth
- Your name and date of birth
- Your National Insurance number or NASS number
- Contact telephone number (so we can contact you)
- Address and postcode
If you are eligible because your child meets one of the following criteria you will also need specific evidence:
- receipt of DLA: we will need to see a copy of award letter
- child is adopted, or part of residence or guardianship order: we will need evidence of this.
Most playgroups, day nurseries, nursery schools and some childminders in the city offer free two, three and four year old places.
If you don't know what childcare is available for two year olds near you contact the Admissions and Information Service
- visit: www.newcastlesupportdirectory.org.uk and you can search for childcare near you (by using the postcode in the search function)
- for a list by ringing 0191 278 7878 and ask for childcare
- or email: email@example.com
If your local childcare provider does not offer funded two year old places at present they can get in touch with the Local Authority by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting Ed Whitby on 0191 277 4670.
To check eligibility and apply for funding:
Complete the Parent declaration form (pdf) and take to your chosen childcare setting.