If a child takes part in a performance for which they need a licence, this can include TV or filming, theatre, sporting activities or modelling, they will also require a chaperone who is responsible for their welfare.

How to become an approved chaperone

You are legally required to obtain a licence from your Local Authority (LA) if you wish to look after a young person that is participating in a performance and you are not the parent or guardian of that child.

A chaperone is acting in "loco parentis" and should exercise the care which a good parent might be reasonably expected to give that child.

To obtain a licence you must be 18-years old or over.

Please contact the Access and Attendance Service for an application pack which contains the application form, declaration of convictions form and the DBS form. 

When you have completed and returned your application to Newcastle City Council we will need to obtain:

  • a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for a criminal records check
  • two references.

It will take up to 12 weeks to process your application.

Please note that a fee is payable for the Enhanced DBS check plus an administration charge. This cost will not be applied if the applicant is a volunteer.

Contact us

Email: attendanceservice@newcastle.gov.uk
Phone: 0191 277 4500
Write to us:
Access and Attendance Service
Newcastle City Council
Room 225 Civic Centre
Barras Bridge
Newcastle upon Tyne

​Related pages

Page last updated: 
17 October 2017
Was this page useful?