Types of Fostering

The type of fostering that's right for you will depend on your experience and personal circumstances. There are several different kinds of foster care with Newcastle City Council:

Each scheme has slight differences and it may be possible to be approved for more than one type of fostering at any one time.

It is important to note, however, that you can only be a foster carer with one provider at a time and cannot be a foster carer with us and a supported lodgings carer with another organisation, for instance.

You do not need to choose the exact type of fostering scheme before your enquiry. Our Recruitment & Engagement Officer and our social work staff will be happy to provide more information about the various schemes at the point of enquiry or as you progress through the assessment process.

If you live in the North East of England within 50 miles of Newcastle and you'd like to become a foster carer, please complete our fostering enquiry form , call 0191 277 2430 or email: fostering@newcastle.gov.uk

Asian Family.jpeg

Services and support for family friends and carers (connected person carers)

Connect person carers are family members or close friends who social services may identify and locate if a particularly child they know is brought into care. You may also know this as kinship care or a speical guardianship order, this is the latter stages once a child have been settled with a family member or person with a pre-existing relationship.

It is not something you can elect to do, but if you feel a child is in danger or in significant or imminent harm, you must report this to the police.

For those who are connected person carers, these resources may benefit you:

Download the Department for Education leaflet for services and support for family and friends carers (pdf, 356 Kb)