Commercial and Clinical Waste Disposal
Our commercial waste services
The requirements of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 place a Duty of Care on all producers of commercial waste to ensure all waste is sorted and disposed of responsibly.
Charges will apply for the following services:
- Waste containers.
- Special waste collections. We can arrange additional collections of waste and some hazardous items outside of contracted agreements for a separate charge.
- Clinical waste collections.
- Garden and vegetation waste disposal at Sandhills (see below).
We do not provide:
- Commercial waste disposal sites. Please contact your own commercial waste service provider/contractor for this information.
- Skips. If you wish to place a skip on the highway, you will need to obtain a skip operator's licence.
- Clean up services for commercial waste spillage.
Developers and provision of Wheeled Bin Containers
Newcastle City Council has a developer guidance document which outlines the required provision of waste and recycling collection storage facilities.
The Council no longer provides free of charge wheeled bins for household refuse and recycling for new properties. The Council is seeking from developers an undertaking to pay for delivery and administration costs for the provision of bins. These charges are a one off cost for the administration and delivery of the bins; the bins remain the property of the City Council. Alternatively, developers are required to provide containers which meet the specification outlined by the Council.
When the resident moves on from the property, the bins remain for the next resident to use. Bins must not be moved between properties by residents.
The document outlines:
- Refuse and recycling storage for residential developments
- Arrangements for sepreation and storage of waste for recycling
- Access requirements for collection
- It does not cover specialised materials e.g. healthcare, food, hazardous waste
See attached guidance document.
The fees and charges for 2017/18 are set out in the attached document. (Excel, 11.2kb)
The attached developer guidance flowchart sets out the process.
For advice on refuse provision please contact:
Public Safety and Regulation
Phone: 0191 2787878
Disposal of trade garden and vegetation waste
Sandhills is a council owned facility located on Walbottle Road in Newburn which accepts good quality garden and parks vegetation from trade customers (for example, landscapers and gardeners). Find out more on the Sandhills webpage.
Report a problem with trade waste
If you experience any problems with businesses not disposing their waste in the appropriate manner, officers from the council's Public Health Department can be contacted for advice about enforcement issues. Phone 0191 278 7878 and ask for Environmental Health or email email@example.com.
For further information on Trade Waste please contact:
Phone 0191 2783034 or 0191 2651414