Newcastle City Council as the Lead Local Flood Authority (LLAF) is responsible, under Section 23 of the Land Drainage Act 1991, for consent and enforcement of any works to ordinary watercourses. 

If you are planning any works on or near a burn, stream or other watercourse, you may need to apply for consent before starting work. Before completing the application form we recommend that you contact us for advice on your proposal. You should contact us on 0191 2116848, or email at to find out if this is the case. 

Also, view the Ordinary Watercourse Regulation Advice and Riverside ownership: rights and responsibilities from the Environment Agency.

Page last updated: 
17 April 2018
1 Start 2 Complete
Was this page useful?