Schools are responsible for keeping parents and guardians informed of closures due to severe weather or other unexpected events. Some schools use their own social media channels, SMS updates or the school website to keep parents and guardians informed. You can contact your school directly to find out how to keep informed.
Other emergency closures and disruption to services
For up-to-date information visit the emergency closures and disruptions to services page.
Gritting and snow clearance
Following a number of really bad winters we’ve been planning for the season ahead. And if we get the same freezing temperatures and heavy snowfall, we’re confident that we’re prepared. For more information visit our gritting and snow clearance page.
Driving safely during the winter
Snow and ice can make driving conditions hazardous and the thaw brings its own problems. For more information visit the driving safe in winter page.
Keep warm, keep well
How to keep your home and family warm and healthy over the winter, visit keep warm, keep well.
NHS advice for winter
If you are injured or unwell during the holiday season there are NHS services that can help. Visit the NHS advice for winter page.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- NHS advice
- Met Office severe weather warnings (North East)
- LTP Tyne and Wear website for traffic disruptions and road closures
- Highways Agency interactive road map for current traffic conditions
- Nexus - details of Metro, Ferry, Bus and Rail services in Tyne and Wear.
- National Rail Enquiries - information for people travelling to or from Newcastle by rail.
- Newcastle Airport - flights to and from Newcastle.