Animal movement licences

All animal movements nationally are controlled by general licences provided by DEFRA.

Apply for a general Animal Movement Licence (via DEFRA).

In addition to the general licence, you'll also need the following:

  1. Movement of pigs also requires a haulier summary (eAML2). Apply online for an eAML2.
  2. Movement of cattle requires a cattle passport. Apply online through the British Cattle Movement Service
  3. Movement of sheep and goats must be accompanied by a completed animal movement licence (AML1) form. Official information is available on reporting sheep and goat movements

The Animal Reporting and Movements Service (ARAMS) now have responsibility for the movement reporting of sheep, goats and deer. Legislation now require livestock markets, abattoirs, collection and assembly centres to use the system to report moves through their premises electronically. 

Farmers are able to use the new service to report electronically or, to continue to report moves on paper but using new movement forms which they can send through to ARAMS, South Western, PO Box 6299, Milton Keynes, MK10 1ZQ.   

Storage and disposal of animal by-products

Animal by-products are animal carcases, parts of carcases or products of animal origin that are not intended for human consumption. DEFRA have produced a comprehensive guide to dealing with animal by-products.

In Newcastle the Food Safety service is responsible for the enforcement of animal by-products legislation for those premises licensed with the local authority.

The council's Trading Standards service is responsible for the enforcement of the animal by-products legislation on farms and licensed premises, i.e. riding establishments, animal boarding establishments and pet shops.

The Secretary of State, through Animal Health at DEFRA, also has the powers to enforce where necessary.

Go to the Animal By Products (Enforcement) Regulations 2013

Farm Regulators Charter

To access a copy of the Farm Regulators Charter which sets out the general situation with farm inspections go to Charter (pdf 963 kb)  

Interim Farm Inspection Report

To see the Stacey interim report on Farm Inspections published in July 2018 go to Report (pdf 4mb) 

Importing animals and animal products

Specific guidelines about the trade of animals and animal products have been produced by DEFRA. Traders must follow detailed guidelines for products of animal origin in addition to the general checks at the point of entry into the UK. View the international trade regulations.

Newcastle City Council is responsible for policing and monitoring animals entering the country using either Newcastle International Airport or the River Tyne, within the controlled district of Newcastle City Council.

Animal Health Officers monitor this very closely as part of the measures in place to prevent such diseases as rabies from entering the country. Our duties also extend to any other animal, particularly those on the Dangerous Wild Animals list or a protected species. We are given full support and co-operation by officers from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the United Kingdom Borders Force (UKBF), as well as Northumbria Police.

Feed hygiene

The Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005 requires all businesses that make, use or market animal feeds (including farms, but excluding pet food retailers) to register with the council. Find out more about feed hygiene registration.

Health inspections of farmed animals

Our Animal Health Inspectors carry out a disease risk assessment of all livestock farms in Newcastle upon Tyne. During a scheduled visit to a farm the Animal Health Inspector will check all Livestock related documentation, such as:

  • Flock and herd records of all movements on and off the premise.
  • Veterinary medicine records, animal by-products disposal route.
  • Stock on the holding will also be checked on welfare grounds and to ascertain whether or not they comply with current tagging/identity legislation.

For more information, visit the DEFRA webpage on local authority farm inspections.

Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) 

In order to prevent the spread of Avian Flu, Prevention Zones are in place across the UK, and the requirements of these also apply within the Protection and Surveillance Zones in Lincolnshire. Poultry and captive bird keepers should continue to house their birds, where practicable, maintain their biosecurity and keep a close watch on the health of their birds. For further information go to

Keeping poultry on a domestic property

Keeping a few hens in the back garden to provide year round eggs is becoming more and more popular. There are no laws preventing you keeping hens, providing they are looked after properly and their welfare is taken seriously. However, it is advisable to check your property deeds or consult your landlord to make sure there are no covenants preventing the keeping of livestock.

By law you must register with DEFRA if you are responsible for fifty or more birds. Visit the DEFRA website to register.

Poultry are susceptible to many diseases and need regular checks. One such disease is Avian Influenza which is a highly contagious viral disease affecting the respiratory, digestive and/or nervous system of many species of birds. Suspected cases must be reported to the duty vet in your local Animal Plant and Health Agency 

For general advice on keeping chickens, take a look at the Poultry Keeper website.

Useful external websites

Please note: This information has no legal force and is not an authoritative interpretation of the law, which is a matter for the Courts. It is intended to help businesses to understand in general terms, the main features of the legislation. The information is not a substitute for the legislation and you should refer to the text of the legislation for a full statement of legal requirements and obligations. Where appropriate, you should seek your own independent legal advice. 

For further information, please contact the Trading Standards Service, Directorate of Operations and Regulatory Services, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.
Phone: 0191 2116121

Page last updated: 
10 August 2018
1 Start 2 Complete
Was this page useful?