Do you know your bin day? Do you need to pay council tax?

Below you'll find information about all the practical essentials you need to know as a student living in Newcastle.

Find us on Twitter @NewcastleCC or on Facebook where you can ask us questions about our services or keep up to date with the latest civic news.

Register to vote

It's important that everybody has the chance to speak up and have their say. Our local councillors make decisions that affect you now as well as what the city will be like in the future. Register to vote online here. Find out more on our Elections and voting webpages here.

End of term: help keep back lanes tidy

Having an end of term clear out? Please think about what you can do with your extra rubbish and recycling to help keep back lanes tidy. Check your bin day online and consider taking extra bottles, paper and cans to local Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Want to know more about the types of rubbish we collect? Everything you need to know is on our rubbish, waste and recycling pages.

Put your bin out on the day of collection (collections start from 6.30am) and bring it back in as soon as possible. This will keep your back lane clean, accessible (for emergency vehicles in particular) and prevent your bin from being stolen, set alight, searched through for items containing your identity or used by criminals to access your back yard.

You can use one of our household waste recycling centres (free) or if your waste is too big or heavy for your bin you can book a bulky waste collection and we can arrange this to be removed for you (charges apply).

There are several charity shops on Chillingham Road and Shields Road where you can donate your unwanted items which may benefit other students next term. Some shops even take working electrical items.

Rubbish left loosely out in the back lanes could leave you liable to prosecution for fly tipping with a fine of up to £50,000, or even up to five years in prison. The council’s environmental crime team will be visiting the back lanes in your area.

The single point of contact for any environmental issue in Newcastle is Envirocall. Make a request or report an issue online or phone 0191 278 7878.

Council Tax

Council Tax is the financial contribution residents make towards the cost of council services such as libraries, highways, street lighting and rubbish collection. Full time students are exempt from paying Council Tax but you must show us a student certificate. Find out more about Council Tax exemptions.

Nuisance noise

Noise from neighbours can cause upset in communities. If you're having problems with a noisy neighbour, or industrial and commercial noise, we may be able to help. Find out everything you need to know on our noise problems page.

Housing advice

We provide housing advice to home owners and those living in private rented accommodation. If you want to rent in Newcastle but cannot afford a deposit our Rent Deposit Scheme may be able to help. We also work in partnership with landlords to improve standards. For more details, visit our housing advice page

Libraries in Newcastle

There are library branches across the city - view our library locations.

Join the library online to enjoy downloadable ebooks, access to computers and borrow books, films and music. Plus gain access to premium online resources that could help you with your studies via the 24 Hour Library. You might also like to use our libraries as a place to work at one of our study desks or computers. Find out more about Newcastle Libraries on their webpage, or find them on Twitter @ToonLibraries and on Facebook

There is also a community library at Jesmond which is not run by the council.

Getting involved

We want everyone to become more involved and have a say in the community that they live, even if you are only living here for a few years during your time at university. There are many ways you can do this and you don't have to be part of a community group or attend meetings to get your voice heard. Find out more.

Car parking and electric vehicles

If you live in an area with permit parking you will need to know about our resident parking schemes.

A Blue Badge provides parking concessions for disabled people and there is also a Shopmobility scheme which provides battery powered and scooters to those with mobility difficulties.

There are a number of charging points for electric cars across the city view a map of charging points.

Sports facilities

There are many sports centres, swimming pools and gyms in Newcastle. Active Newcastle have details of various classes and facilities at sports centres and other venues in the city.

Other useful information

  • Use the useful post code checker on NHS Choices to find your local dentist, GP, optician, pharmacist and more.
  • Tyne and Wear Fire Service have produced a helpful video on fire safety for students.
  • Northumbria Police work closely with universities and have produced information for students. For non-emergencies you can contact them on 101.
  • Students in Newcastle Forum annual report 2013 - working with the universities, Student Unions, Newcastle College and Northumbria Police. Download the annual report (pdf, 3MB).
Page last updated: 
15 September 2017
Was this page useful?