Part-time work can improve children’s confidence, provide valuable experience and earn them some money. But did you know?

  • Children must be at least 13 years old to work part-time.
  • Any job must be done outside of school hours. It must not affect their studies or mean they miss school.
  • While they are still of school age they must have a work permit. 'School age' is right up until the last Friday in June of Year 11, even if they are already 16 or have a National Insurance Number.

The regulations relating to the employment of school children in Newcastle upon Tyne are contained in the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 as amended by Newcastle City Council byelaws (pdf, 35Kb).

Employers must inform their local authority that they have employed a school age child. If satisfied with the arrangements, the local authority will issue the child with an employment permit but this may be withdrawn, or employment restricted, should there be any concern that the child's health or education is suffering.

Restrictions for child employment

Children may not be employed for more than:

  • 1 hour before school
  • 2 hours in total on any school day
  • 12 hours per week in term time
  • 2 hours on any Sunday
  • 8 hours, or if under 15, for more than 5 hours in school holidays and Saturdays (weekly maximum of 35 hours or, if under 15, weekly maximum of 25 hours)
  • 4 hours without a rest break of 1 hour

Children must have a break of 2 weeks during school holidays in any year

Application for an employment permit

If your child has been offered a job you can ensure that an application for an employment permit is filled in

The Access and Attendance Service will: 

  • process and record all applications for employment (work) permits
  • carry out routine checks on employers and spot checks through visiting
  • monitor child employment city-wide
  • enforce the byelaws as appropriate
  • give advice to employers, schools, parents and children

Other information

National Network for Child Employment and Entertainment (NNCEE) can offer further guidance and information about children in entertainment and employment.

Contact us 


Phone: 0191 277 4500

Write to us:

Access and Attendance Service
Newcastle City Council
Room 225 Civic Centre
Barras Bridge
Newcastle upon Tyne

Page last updated: 
26 April 2017
Was this page useful?