Part time employment of school children
The regulations relating to the employment of school children in Newcastle upon Tyne are contained in the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 as amended by Newcastle City Council byelaws (pdf, 35Kb).
The regulations apply to all children of compulsory school age (up to the last Friday in June of the school year of their sixteenth birthday). They place limits on the age at which a child may work and on the number of hours that children can be employed.
Employers must inform their local authority that they have employed a school age child. If satisfied with the arrangements, the local authority will issue the child with an employment permit but this may be rescinded, or employment restricted, should there be any concern that the child's health or education is suffering.
The youngest age that a child can work is 13.
Restrictions for child employment
Children may not be employed for more than:
- 1 hour before school
- 2 hours in total on any school day
- 12 hours per week in term time
- 2 hours on any Sunday
- 8 hours, or if under 15, for more than 5 hours in school holidays and Saturdays (weekly maximum of 35 hours or, if under 15, weekly maximum of 25 hours)
- 4 hours without a rest break of 1 hour
Children must have a break of 2 weeks during school holidays in any year
Application for an employment permit
If your child has been offered a job you can ensure that an application for an employment permit is filled in
- Notification of child employment form (word, 63.8Kb)
- Newcastle City Council - Byelaws on the Employment of Children (1999) (pdf, 35Kb)
The Attendance Service will:
- process and record all applications for employment (work) permits
- carry out routine checks on employers and spot checks through visiting
- monitor child employment city-wide
- enforce the byelaws as appropriate
- give advice to employers, schools, parents and children
National Network for Child Employment and Entertainment (NNCEE) can offer further guidance and information about children in entertainment and employment.
For further advice on the employment of children please contact the Attendance Service at:
The Heaton Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne
Phone: 0191 277 4500