A in year admission is when a parent wishes to apply for a place at a school outside the normal admissions round. The “normal admissions round” covers going into Reception for the first time or transferring at the end of first/primary school into the next age phase, i.e. middle/secondary/high school.
Please note, in year applications received by Friday, 6 July will be processed week commencing Monday, 9 July. You will hear the outcome of your application by Friday, 20 July at the latest. This includes in year applications requesting school places for a September start.
Any in year applications received after Friday, 6 July will not be processed until schools return in September.
This guidance aims to help parents and carers through the process of deciding which schools to apply for and making an application for an in year school place.
- Latest school vacancies (pdf)
- Apply here for a school place in year
- Information to consider before making an in year application
- Communicating the outcome of the application - what next
- General information about education in Newcastle
You may also find the following useful
- Applying for places in nursery schools and nursery classes
- Applying for reception class places
- Applying for transfer places - moving from a first school to a middle school, moving from a primary school to a secondary school or moving from a middle school to a high school
- Published arrangements for admission to Newcastle schools
- Glossary of admission terms (pdf)
- Statutory annual admissions report
- Free home to school travel