In September 2016, the Council launched a Call for Evidence - Shaping the future of the Newcastle Fund - to gather views and ideas on how the Newcastle Fund should look in the future, and to inform a proposal on the future of the Fund for further consultation. You can read the initial Call for Evidence paper here, and you can read an overview of feedback received following the Call for Evidence here.
We have now produced a proposal based on the feedback received, and we would like to seek your comments on this. You can read the Newcastle Fund consultation proposal here.
You can share your views on our proposal by: emailing your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org comment on our Let's Talk Topic Wall or write to us using the following postal address: Commissioner for Inclusion, Room 115, Newcastle Civic Centre, Barras Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.
The closing date for feedback is 12noon on Thursday 6 April 2017.
Newcastle Fund Round 7 - now closed for applications
The Newcastle Fund allows the Council and its partners to support organisations working to meet the needs of people in Newcastle. It allows the Council to support initiatives which may not be suitable for larger scale commissioned services. The Newcastle Fund is more appropriate for smaller sums of money, where the proposal for a service or community capacity comes from the sector itself. It therefore provides scope for local innovation, and support for organisations whose main objective is to support the needs of a community, rather than the delivery of a pre-specified service.
The Newcastle Fund Round 7 welcomes applications from VCS organisations and projects that can show how they will support Newcastle's ambition to be a fairer city, embracing the potential for individuals or communities to reach their full potential. Greater focus will be on projects which support and develop active citizens, support communities and individuals to design, develop and deliver their own solutions, empower people to effect positive change and offer new ways of working. The city faces very significant challenges, in the light of cuts to public spending, and significant changes to the welfare system. In the light of these challenges, the Council wishes to support initiatives which build community capacity and resilience in three areas:
The Priorities for Newcastle Fund Round 7 are listed below.
- building community resilience.
- improving individuals' resilience.
- improving mental and emotional wellbeing
All Projects must also evidence that they will be delivered from a local base within the Newcastle area and can deliver good outcomes for people, efficiently, and on the basis of a good understanding of need.
For further details on the priorities and eligibility guidance, please see Newcastle Fund round 7 guidance notes (pdf, 47.56kb)
Applications have now CLOSED as of 12noon on 7 September 2016. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be considered for funding.
Applicants can apply for funding for 1, 2 or 3 years from April 2017. If your project is longer than 12 months then the need for longer-term funding must be clearly demonstrated, through a multi-year programme of activity, incorporating evidence of improvements and reduced costs in the second year.
All applications are to be submitted online.
Please note the Newcastle Fund will NOT support any of the below activities
- organisations that are not constituted voluntary and community organisations, registered charities, or social enterprises
- activity outside the Newcastle City Council area or activity which targets beneficiaries who are not Newcastle residents
- costs or activities which are before 1 April 2017 or after 31 March 2020. Your project must start before 1 April 2018
- costs associated with submitting an application
- organisations which do not have a suitable bank account.
In addition to the Newcastle Fund, the Council devolves funding for neighbourhood level projects to our ward committees, where decisions on funding are taken in public by elected Councillors. Small projects which are focused on specific neighbourhoods should consider an application to the relevant ward committee, rather than to the Newcastle Fund. Information on these funds is available by clicking here.
Previous rounds of the Newcastle Fund
We are committed to being open in our grant process, so you can look at details of previous applicants to the Newcastle Fund below:
- Download details of all applications from Round 7 (pdf, 32.2kb)
- Download details of successful applications from Round 7 (pdf, 41.2kb)
- Download details of successful applications from Round 6 (pdf, 23.91kb)
- Download details of successful applications from Round 5 (pdf, 266kb)
- Download details of all applications from Round 5 (pdf, 264kb)
- Download details of successful applications from Round 4 (pdf, 12kb)
- Download details of all applications to Round 4 (pdf, 28Kkb)
- Download details of successful applications from Round 3 (pdf, 32kb)
We are committed to regularly evaluating our Newcastle Fund process to make sure it is effective. If you have any comments about the process, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
If you have any general enquires about applying to the Newcastle Fund please contact Daryll Alder on 0191 211 6906 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.