We charge funeral directors directly for the following fees. If you are arranging a funeral without a funeral director you will pay the fees directly to Bereavement Services:
- Cremation and Medical Referee fee.
- Interment fee.
- Purchase of Exclusive Rights if our purchase form comes via the Funeral Director.
The cremation fee includes all forms, administration, the use of the crematorium, chapel, organ and electronic music, the cremation and placing the cremated remains elsewhere. There are various containers available.
View cemetery and crematorium fees (pdf, 55.3kb).
Monumental fees are usually charged to the Monumental Mason; however the Monumental Mason may ask a purchaser to make a payment directly to Bereavement Services.
Fees relating to memorials are paid directly to Bereavement Services.
Independent funeral costs
Some costs relating to the independent option are set out below. The below costs presume you use your own transport and bearers and keep the deceased at home or in the hospital mortuary (which is free of charge).
- Independent cremation fee (including medical reference fee) - £764.
- Doctor's fees for medical certificates - approximately £152.
- Minister's/Secular Officiant's fee - approximately £160.
Help with funeral payments
If you're on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral, you may be able to get a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund. View more information on Funeral Payments.