Bringing up children is an important and sometimes difficult task. You can get support from health visitors, teachers, family members and friends but if you need additional support, we may be able to help you.
Registering a birth
You must register the birth of a baby within 42 days of the date of birth.
Family support services
Help is a hand for all families in need of support, information and advice. Join in and become a part of the community and improve your quality of life
- Sure Start Children's Centres bring together a wide range of services for children under 5 years old and their families
- Search for local family support services in your area
- Children with disabilities including short breaks for families with disabled children and young people
- Parent Partnership for children with special educational needs
Childcare and afterschool clubs
We hold information on all registered childcare providers, childminders, nurseries, out of school clubs, holiday play schemes and playgroups.
- Finding and choosing childcare
- Search for out of school clubs, holiday play schemes and playgroups
- Community nurseries
Financial advice and support
Make the most of your money, check your entitlement and discounts and find out tips to make your money go further.
Fostering and adoption
Newcastle is looking for families for children of all ages, children from black and ethnic minority backgrounds, children with complex needs and sibling groups of children.
Health and wellbeing
Maintain a healthy lifestyle and enjoy life to the full.
- NHS direct website for advice on common health problems and details on your nearest doctors, health centres and pharmacies.
- Health and medical advice.
- Active Newcastle for a range of active events to get involved in including pregnancy and post-natal fitness classes.
Schools and libraries form the centre of our communities. Find the right learning opportunities for you and your child and learn together as a family.
- Term dates and other school closures.
- Search for schools with our school finder. It allows you to search by area, postcode, school type or faith.
- Discover a world of information, learning and entertainment in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere at Newcastle Libraries.
- Do the methods used to teach children in school baffle you? Family learning could improve your own skills. Come along and join an activity, based on early years, ICT or maths.
- School admissions and transfers can help you apply for a reception place in first and primary school, or transfer to middle, secondary and high school.
Find out what's on, when and where, whether you are looking for community events, volunteering opportunities, public meetings, classes, culture or entertainment.