Starting a new business in Newcastle
We want Newcastle to be the best place to start a business. It is a city with a proud tradition of enterprise, and we offer help to inspire and support everyone who wants to start a business or social enterprise.
There is a range of support available for people looking to create new businesses and social enterprises in the city. This will help you develop your ideas, research your market, and prepare a strong business plan. Drop into the Skills Hub at Newcastle City Library to find out what help and advice is available, or contact:
- PNE Enterprise, Newcastle’s award-winning local enterprise agency, who offer a business courses workshops and one-to-one support designed specifically for new businesses and entrepreneurs
- Reviving the Heart of the West End provide hands on business advice, including the Business Sparks programme for 16-24 year olds, helping you explore your idea and find out how to get started.
- Transmit Start-Ups offer a loan and mentoring service for new start businesses up to two years old.
Further support is available from:
- The Business and Intellectual Property Centre (BIPC), based on Level 3 of Newcastle City Library also provides information, resources and support to research your business.
- The Millin Charity offer community-based start-up and enterprise training as well as trading experience and enterprise grants for women.
- If you are 18 - 30years of age the Princes Trust’s Enterprise Programme can provide business start-up support, access to loan finance and a business mentor.
There is an ever-changing range of funding and investment available to help businesses to start up and grow. The North East Growth Hub website is the best way to explore what finance is available and whether it meets your needs.
We provide a huge range of property that could be just right for your new business, including shop units, light industrial workshops and managed offices. This includes our flagship centres:
Located in the Ouseburn area of the city, the Toffee Factory is a beautifully refurbished building providing high quality, contemporary serviced office space for a range of digital and creative businesses, from start-ups in a shared workspace to larger offices for established companies.
Located at the entrance to the exciting innovation zone Newcastle Helix, The Core provides dedicated office space for new and growing knowledge-based businesses.
Also on Newcastle Helix, the Biosphere offers bespoke lab space for life science-based businesses.
Other Council owned commercial property
If these properties are not right for you, we also run four dedicated Enterprise Centres offering ‘easy in-easy out’ office and light industrial units, as well as a wide range of other office, retail and industrial property. Full details of how to find the right property for your businesses can be found on our property enquiries page.
Did you know?
The North East Growth Hub website provides a wealth of business information, advice, knowledge and inspiration from the local business community and local, regional and national business support providers. It also provides a route into a wide range of funding for your business.