Hackney Carriage drivers are licensed for the safety and protection of the public. All drivers of Hackney Carriage vehicles must conduct themselves in a civil and orderly manner and be clean and respectable in his/her dress. Hackney Carriage drivers should take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of passengers conveyed in, entering or alighting from the vehicle and must attend promptly for any hiring.
When a driver is working he/she must wear the identity badge issued to him by the Authority in such a position and manner as to be plainly and distinctly visible and so that the face of the bearer maybe compared to the photograph on the badge (lost or damaged badges must be replaced and are available from the Licensing Office).
It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that children are suitable restrained whilst in the vehicle and that no more than the number of passengers for which the vehicle is licensed are conveyed during a hiring.
To drive a Hackney Carriage vehicle in Newcastle upon Tyne you must hold the relevant licence issued by Newcastle City Council. The following list are required to apply for a Hackney Carriage drivers licence. A Hackney Carriage drivers licence is valid for 12 months.
- You must be 18 and a half years of age to apply
- You must have held a full Road Traffic Driving Licence for at least 12 months
- You must pass a locality test which must be booked when applying for the licence
- You need to have a Medical Certificate certified to Group II standards completed by your GP. There maybe a charge applied by your GP for this - You will need to contact the Licensing Office to obtain the medical application form. Phone 0191 2783864.
- You must complete a DBS disclosure application form providing the relevant identification Please note you are unable to download this application form - You will need to contact the Licensing Office to obtain the application form. Phone 0191 2783864.
Hackney Carriage Driver conditions (pdf, 13.2Kb)
If you require any further information regarding Hackney Carriage Drivers phone 0191 278 3864.
Newington Road East
Newcastle upon Tyne
Phone: 0191 2783864