All animal movements are controlled by general licence. In addition to the general licence, in respect of the movement of deer must be accompanied by a completed AML1 form. Movement must be reported to Local Authorities using the form AML1 within 3 days of the movement taking place.

Forms need to be completed in triplicate. One copy is to be retained by the owner of the animals, two copies to the person buying the animals, one of which should be forwarded to the City Council.

Electronic Reporting of Pig Movements (England & Wales)  

DEFRA Animal Health and the British Pig Executive BPEX have now launched a system to allow the electronic reporting and recording of pig movements.  

Licences relating to the movement of cattle, deer and sheep and goats are available to be downloaded from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs website. Go to DEFRA.

News Update

From April 2014, the Animal Reporting and Movements Service ARAMS now has responsibility for the movement reporting of sheep, goats and deer. Legislation requires livestock markets, abattoirs, collection and assembly centres to use the system to report moves through their premises electronically. 

Farmers are able to use the new service to report electronically or, to continue to report moves on paper but using new movement forms which they can send through to ARAMS, South Western, PO Box 6299, Milton Keynes, MK10 1ZQ.   

For all moves that now take place local authorities will be no longer input them onto the AMLS. Go to Guidance (pdf 859 kb) 

DEFRA have produced guidance on animal identification, movement and tracing regulations. View DEFRA guidance

Contact Details

Eugo Logo

For further information or clarification please contact the Trading Standards Service, Directorate of Operations and Regulatory Services, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.

Phone: 0191 211 6121. Fax: 0191 211 4946

Page last updated: 
27 September 2018
1 Start 2 Complete
Was this page useful?