The enforcement of health and safety legislation is split between the Health & Safety Executive (HSE), local authorities (LAs) and fire authorities (FAs). In general:

  • The HSE covers factories, building sites, mines and quarries, farms, fairgrounds, railways, public sector organisations, chemical plants, offshore and nuclear installations
  • LAs cover shops, warehouses, offices, hotels and catering, sports, leisure, consumer services, (e.g. laundrettes, hairdressers, undertakers, shoe repair, tyre and exhaust fitters), residential care homes and churches
  • FAs enforce fire safety provisions in most workplaces

The relevant contact details for these bodies in the Newcastle area are:

HSE, Health & Safety Executive, Alnwick House, Benton Park View, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1YX, phone 0191 202 6200.

LA, Health and Safety Service, Public Safety, Regulation and Development, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH phone 0191 2116102.

FA, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (Headquarters), Nissan Way, Washington, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR5 3QY, phone 0191 444 1589.

What we do:

Our aim is to prevent accidents and ill-health in the workplace. We do this by:

  • Inspecting workplaces to make sure that risks from work are properly managed
  • Helping people meet their legal responsibilities
  • Encouraging good practice
  • Investigating accidents or cases of occupational ill-health
  • Investigating complaints about working conditions or work practices
  • Providing advice on health and safety matters
  • Promoting awareness/knowledge of safety issues through campaigns, newsletters, seminars or training courses

Workplace inspections:

We carry out visits to workplaces - these may be carry out a routine programmed inspection or to investigate a complaint, accident or case of ill-health.

Visits will usually be unannounced, and will normally involve talking to the owner or manager, health and safety representatives and other relevant personnel. The visit will involve a physical inspection of some or all the premises, and we will also ask to see safety-related paperwork such as:

  • Health & safety policy statement
  • Risk assessments
  • Maintenance & inspection records for plant & equipment
  • Training records
  • Accident records

Action following a visit:

At the end of the visit you will be advised what further action (if any) is going to be taken. In most cases this will be in the form of written or verbal advice outlining steps you need to take to remedy any contraventions found, and may also include recommendations to help you further improve standards.

Formal action may also be taken in certain cases. Possible options include:

  • Improvement Notices - may be served where there is a specific legal contravention, and where action is required by a specific time. The notice will specify the contravention, the works or actions required to be carried out and the date by which they must be done (not less than 21 days). Notes will accompany the notice explaining the right of appeal to an Employment Tribunal against the notice together with the necessary forms to use.
  • Prohibition Notices - may be served where the inspector is of the opinion that there is a risk of serious personal injury. The notice will specify the activity which is to be prohibited and will explain the reasons for the inspector's opinion. The notice will state that the prohibition has immediate effect, or in rare cases will defer this until a specified time.

To access information on the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, go to our webpage CDM.

For further information, please contact the Health and Safety Service, Public Safety, Regulation and Development, City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.
Phone: 0191 2116102

Page last updated: 
12 April 2018
1 Start 2 Complete
Was this page useful?