Voted Favourite UK City in the Guardian and Readers' Travel Awards 2014 Newcastle is a fast growing location for business investment, with strengths in Creative & Digital, Science & Healthcare, and Offshore and Marine.
• Creative & Digital: Newcastle is emerging as one of the most vibrant creative clusters outside of London. The opportunities are particularly strong in software development, technical support, gaming and creative services. The creative and digital sector is supported by two outstanding universities with Newcastle University number 1 in computer sciences.
• Science & Healthcare: Internationally-renowned for life sciences, healthcare and sustainability, Newcastle is also one of six designated UK Science Cities. Recognised for its strengths in ageing, biomedicine and clinical trials we already have cutting edge facilities at key sites across the city including the Centre for Life, Newcastle University’s Campus for Ageing and Vitality and Science Central, one of the country’s most ambitious regeneration projects in the heart of the city.
• Offshore & Marine: Only one of six Centres for Offshore Renewable Engineering (CORE) in England, new investment in the North Sea took expenditure to a record £13.5bn in 2013 and our rich industrial and maritime heritage provides businesses with all the relevant skills needed for the sector today. Enterprise Zone status and a prime location on the banks of the River Tyne gives businesses extensive and unrestricted access to the North Sea via the Port of Tyne.
Newcastle has an impressive track record in the attraction of overseas investment as well as establishing and supporting home-grown businesses. From software giants, such as Sage Group plc, to high street banks, including Virgin Money, and world leaders in research, global brands have chosen to make the North East their UK home.
From Grade A office space on our stunning Quayside, to quirky, creative and digital hubs and easy-to-get-to business parks on the fringes of the city centre; there is a whole host of quality places in and around Newcastle city centre to base your business. Complementing this are three key strategic sites within our Accelerated Development Zone (ADZ), Newcastle Science Central, East Pilgrim Street and Stephenson Quarter, unlocking £92m worth of investment. In addition Newcastle International Airport Business Park is the newest opportunity for developers looking to invest in the region and perfectly located for international businesses.
Invest Newcastle, in partnership with Newcastle City Council, is dedicated to helping businesses locate, expand and flourish here and can provide a range of services to make it easy for you to realise your ambitions for growth. Our service is bespoke and catered to client needs but, as a guide, could include:
• Provision of research, intelligence and statistics to support the development of your business
• Employee recruitment and retention guidance
• Skills and training advice to support a sustainable and talented workforce
• Property solutions
• Access to finance and advice on grants and incentives as well as support to develop bids
• Marketing and PR support
• Access to world-leading centres of excellence, cluster groups and business development networks
• Relocation advice, presentations and tours
• Access to an exclusive range of corporate rates and discounts from some of our major business and professional services in key areas such as finance, legal, banking, recruitment, technology and more.
• A single point of contact to support the growth and expansion of existing businesses