European funding in Newcastle comes from three different sources:
- European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), as part of the North East Programme 2007-2013, supports the growth of a modern, innovative and sustainable economy. It aims to strengthen the entrepreneurial culture, grow the business base and exploit the science, new and renewable energy technology and innovation potential across the city and the region.
- European Social Fund (ESF) aims to help people fulfil their potential by giving them better skills and better job prospects.
- European Transnational Programmes support European Co-operation in a range of fields such as sustainability including energy efficiency and sustainable transport, knowledge economy and SME competitiveness and performance, Innovation, Social Exclusion, Lifelong Learning and Culture.
- Both ERDF and ESF form part of the EU's Structural funds which seek to reduce differences in prosperity across the EU and enhance economic and social cohesion.
The new European Structural and Investment Fund (ESIF) Programme 2014-20 is under development and due to be launched in 2015. You can find more information on the North East Local Enterprise Partnership (NELEP) website and the Gov.uk website.
How do we use European Funding in Newcastle?How do we use European Funding in Newcastle?
In Newcastle public, private, voluntary and community groups use European funding to co-fund different types of capital and revenue projects:
- supporting innovation and technology-led sectors related to NEwcastle Science City and strategic sites,
- cultivating an enterprise culture and enhancing the competitiveness and growth of existing SMEs across the city including its disadvantaged areas,
- improving the city's environment and sustainability in the field of sustainable transport and energy efficiency.
Examples of Europe-funded projectsExamples of European funded projects
North East of England ERDF Programme 2007 to 2013
Newcastle City Council Projects
Newcastle Enterprise Package
Newcastle Science City Community Engagement
Newcastle City Council Technical Assistance
The Core (Science Central)
North Bank of the Tyne
Super Connected Newcastle: Go Digital Business Support
Business & Intellectual Property Centre
Other projects in Newcastle
More information about the above projects can be found by clicking here.
Information about all other ERDF projects in the North East of England can be found by visiting the Gov.uk website.
ESF Programme 2007 to 2013
European Transnational Programmes 2007 to 2013
C-Liege, Intelligent Energy Europe
i-scope, Competitiveness and Innovation Programme, ICT
Creative Cities Challenge, Interreg North Sea
Warm Up North
For ERDF and previous European funded programmes, please contact:
Claire Prospert - phone 0191 211 5693, email: email@example.com
Asia Lompart-Chlasciak - phone 0191 211 5672, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tim Cook - phone 0191 277 8924, email: email@example.com
For ESF, please contact:
Kerry Corbett - phone 0191 277 7805, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For European Transnational Programmes, please contact:
Angela Hamilton - phone 0191 211 5019, email: email@example.com
For more information on international projects visit the International Newcastle website.